Could any of these books be classed as apostate material?

by solo 9 Replies latest jw friends

• solo
    solo

I saw these books in my parents' theocratic library and wondered if they should be there - I'm not sure about all the titles and names I just managed to scribble them down:

The Two Babylons (I do remember they had this one from back in the 70s)
    The Works of Josephus
    If God Spare my Life William Tyndale
    The Jerusalem Bible
    A Short History of the World

I wondered if anyone knows what the Society's take is on these books as I thought they should only have their literature, I'm sort of tempted to slip in book or two of my own and see if they notice

• blondie
    blondie

None of those books would be considered apostate and can probably be found in many older KH libraries and at Bethel in their libraries.

Newer congregations have a hard enough time keeping the WT publications up to date in the library.

Blondie

• solo
    solo

Newer congregations have a hard enough time keeping the WT publications up to date in the library.

Funny you should say that blondie, while I was there I notice a half inch thick wad of paper which was actually all the Revelation book updates ready to be cut and pasted!

Shame about the non apostate material tho, still one can only hope

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Josephus and Tyndale are respected by the dubs and widely referred to. I used to quote them in talks . It seem that your parents are serious about the faith and like to research, which is recommended by the WTS. - provided nothing contradicts their writings.

• solo
    solo

that's interesting, you see it was always their religion that they forced on me, although I beleived it was true the reason for that if you are brought up with something in your life and your parents and adults are telling you it is right you believe it

I never felt it in my heart, it was never mine and I never researched it for myself, when I walked away from it unlike others it did not research and look into their teachings, I'd had a belly full of it and completly turned my back on them and all religion.

That's why this site is so interesting to me, to find out after all this time that their beliefs are a pile of nonsense and to learn about the history of the organisation - facinating stuff

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The Two Babylons (I do remember they had this one from back in the 70s)
    The Works of Josephus
    If God Spare my Life William Tyndale
    The Jerusalem Bible
    A Short History of the World

ALL THESE ARE IN OUR KINGDOM HALL LIBRARY

• greendawn
    greendawn

They also regard very highly Alexander Hislop and his book the Two Babylons since it is their basis for proving that the Catholics are a pagan based false religion that took most of their beliefs and ceremonies straight from Babylon, they warmly recommended it to me years ago. Catholicism is the second Babylon.

• Beardo
    Beardo

The information drawn from the texts credited to Josephus concerning Jesus seem very suspicious to me.

Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man IF IT BE LAWFUL TO CALL HIM A MAN, for he was a doer of wonders, A TEACHER OF SUCH MEN AS RECEIVE THE TRUTH WITH PLEASURE. He drew many after him BOTH OF THE JEWS AND THE GENTILES. HE WAS THE CHRIST. When Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, FOR HE APPEARED TO THEM ALIVE AGAIN THE THIRD DAY, AS THE DIVINE PROPHETS HAD FORETOLD THESE AND THEN THOUSAND OTHER WONDERFUL THINGS ABOUT HIM, and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day (Antiquities 18:63-64).

Doesn't it seem a little odd that Josephus would then go about his business and remain within his own faith and ignore this wise man who he proclaims to be "the Christ" and not dedicate a few chapters to the subject? Surely this would warrant an investigation, especially as Josephus appeared to be a prolific writer and 'a thinker'.

Why Christians use this passage is beyond me, it seems like a clear case of falsifying the records.

anyway.... sorry, just had to cut in and add that.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Jws are told not to read anything shown to them by an Apostate.

If you give/quote those books and they consider you to be an Apostate they should not read them.

• blondie
    blondie

I guess a way to combat the WTS thinking then is for "apostates" to recommend that JWs read WTS publications, especially the WT and the NWT.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit