Another JW Account of WTC

by messenger 8 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger

9/12/01
    Dear Brothers and Sisters,

It's 2:30 AM and the phone lines are now open around here. Hopefully, you'll be able to get this message. Pardon the "generic look" but I wanted to pass this one as soon as possible.

I have a Manhattan view from my office here in Brooklyn. I got to see everything first hand. It was not pleasant. Bethel is located across the East River from Manhattan so any explosions and buildings collapsing did not affect us but the smoke did. They evacuated the 360 Furman building after lunch because the wind was blowing the smoke from the explosion toward it.

Here in the Factory, we shut off all ventilation, presses, bindery, windows, etc. We all went to the main lobby where the Bindery Overseer said a prayer. We were then sent to the 90 Sands Dining room. I ended up with the security detail in one of the lobbies.

At lunch, Brother Losch, from the Governing Body, reflecting that this disaster might be able to help others be more receptive to the truth, read an announcement from the Branch Committee. It basically told us to be more conscious of security since the police would be busy with the disaster. (We posted extra watchman all over the place.) We were "encouraged" to stay within the Bethel compound and not venture to the meetings or territory.

The colloquial term the younger ones around here is lockdown. Each body of elders then started contacting the different ones in their book study groups, who in turn contacted the presiding overseer who in then passed it on to the assembly overseers, then the circuit overseer and then to Bethel. By 10:30 pm tonight, everyone from my circuit (1 of several here in the city) was accounted for. It took a long time because all subways were shut down and everyone had to walk over the bridges. Cell phones, pay phones and any radio equipment were useless because the main antenna system was on one of the twin towers. Kids were not able to get home since the school would not release them until the parents picked them up. Meanwhile, the parents couldn't pick them up because they too were stuck in the city. So, it was a rather long day.

One family visiting Bethel was taking a tour. They were staying at the World Trade Center Marriott and had just gotten in early to tour when they saw the explosion. They lost all their belongings in the explosion but were alive. They were shaken up but glad to be alive. Bethel fed them and I was later told, housed until further notice. They told me that all the guests visiting were invited to have a meal with the Bethel family.

Meanwhile, the MASSIVE exodus from Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge was orderly and calm.

Tomorrow morning, no doubt we'll have a more accurate report at Morning worship. I'll let you know of any updates then.

The best thing we can all do is pray to Jehovah and help others appreciate in the field that the answer to these problems is the kingdom and that it is NOT as far away as some think.

Love,
    Luis

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Messenger,

thanks for the post.

I do find it ...rather strange,...almost

no feelings! Just mho.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Messenger,
    Thanks for the post.

I agree with MacHisslop that there was no emotion and that was very strange.

It seems in line with the aloofness of JWs ('no part of the world') and no concern for the 'worldly' people. Just we made a check and WE were all accounted for.

The rest of the world is non-existent for them, except how can we use it to recruit more members (under the guise of preaching).

Chilling. . . Kind of like 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' people.

Pat

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Please do not put all in the same box; I care about others and I care about what has happened and about the tragic deaths. Nobody should use such an act of terrorism to achieve their own goals. People react differently under stress; some show their emotions, others are more reluctant. Nobody is untouched by this, it is much discussed in the Kingdom Halls, and then the loss of all the thousands is mourned, not just the brothers and sisters.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Old Hippie,

: Nobody should use such an act of terrorism to achieve their own goals.

I can produce a BUCKET full of facts from the WTS' own literature that prove that they in FACT, do just that.

Wanna test me, Old Hippie?

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• NoLongerAjw
    NoLongerAjw

Stories like this are just mind blowiing.. they were right there where this happend and the one thing she has to report is that, "We let a JW family who lost all there stuff stay here with us last night".. what about all those other people?? what do Jw's do when they see that woman who's home was destroyed walking with 2 kids, looking for her husband.. do they snicker cause ahh maybe the end is near?? i wouldnt doubt it.. i like the part that says "we were told to stay within the bethel compound.". does that sound like a cult or what? it just makes me sick that they can't help fellow men.. but probably inside are cheering.. and using it as a way to push more mags. you think they go up to firefighters on break and offer them the mags .. and mention the donation?? i bet they do.. uugghhh just upsets me..

NLAJ

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Dear Old Hippie,
    I wish there were more like you. But what we're seeing here is that a majority reflect what Mother (the WTBTS) teaches, either overtly or covertly: Anyone NOT a Jehovah's Witness (and baptized at that) will be destroyed, why feel sorry for them. If there was love there, Old Hippie, it would manifest itself somewhere--ANYWHERE in that post, it does not. Simply detached factual reporting on the events, concern over themselves (namely, the "compound") and the hope that it will help the Organization further push its agenda. I have seen very few active JW's show genuine concern, either on posts here, WOL, reports from those who know those still "in". In fact, a whole Convention full good Jehovah's Witnesses cheer at the hope of the demise of so-called evil doers (those who question) The love is just not there. What a paradise.

Bridgette

• Room 215
    Room 215

Messenger,
    ``Bethel compound?'' Fascinating choice of words. Right out of ``Hogan's Heroes."
    That's exactly what's wrong with the place... it IS a ``compound,''and the people inside have a ``compound'' mentality. When will they ever get it?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

What I have seen happen time and again is that those JWs who ARE caring and compassionate eventually become ex-JWs.

In almost every post I've seen written by a JW, there has been either non-emotional "reporting" as in this case, or elation at the fact that the GT might be starting. JWs, for the most part, have described standing on the sidelines watching the destruction and human misery, and then shrugging their shoulders and getting back to the work of printing literature.

None of the JWs has expressed a desire to help in ANY way other than to sell more magazines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit