Scott Berkun essay: How To Detect BS

by under_believer 2 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

In this excellent essay, software developer Scott Berkun details many good BS detection techniques. The essay has a business- and development-related focus, but many of the tips are general and useful in breaking down claims from anyone, including religious claims. Here's one telling excerpt:

"Our dynamic flow capacity matrix has unprecedented downtime resistance protocols."

If you don't understand what the hell this means, err on your own side. Don't assume you're missing something: assume they are. They're either hiding something, communicating poorly, or don't themselves understand what they're talking about. BS deflating responses include:

* I refuse to accept this proposal until I, or someone I trust, fully understands it.
    * Explain this in simpler terms I can understand (repeat if necessary).
    * Break this into pieces you can verify, prove, compare, or demonstrate for me.
    * Are you trying to say "our network server has a backup power supply?" If so, can you speak plainly next time?

• VM44
    VM44

"Our dynamic flow capacity matrix has unprecedented downtime resistance protocols." That sounds impressive! I must use that in the next report I write! :) --VM44

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    If so, can you speak plainly next time?

"our big machine work all time"

- Nee Ander Thal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit