Brooklyn's dinosaur

by Nathan Natas 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

No, not the Jaracz-o-saurus!

Those of us who grew up with the NWT in our little hands probably remember this little guy - he might be a mascot of our generation, might he not?

alt

For those unfamiliar with him, he graced the inside end sheets of the New World Translation - the infamous green version - and was placed squarely in the center of what is now the Sahara desert, I believe.

For decades, of course, I saw him, looked at him, thought "Generic dinosaur." Then I began wondering - WAS he just a generic dinosaur? Was he a brontosaurus playfully raising up on his hind legs to enjoy the tender greens at the top of a spinach tree? Hmmmm...

My answer came from a funny place - a book I treasured during my pre-teen years titled "All About Dinosaurs" (1953) by Roy Chapman Andrews. More than any other single individual, Roy Chapman Andrews was the real person upon whom the character Indiana Jones was based. He explored the world and he revealed the truth of the rocks, and went on to become Director of the American Museum of Natural History in Manhattan. Growing up in New York City, it was one magnificent resource that I had access to that fired up my mind.

Page 13 of ALL ABOUT DINOSAURS offers an illustration by Tom W. Voter of Anchisaurus. Look familiar? We can't prove plagiarism of Mr. Voter's work by the WTS - after all, the Watchtower's anchisaurus has his hands in a different position, doesn't he?

Other interesting tidbits about the anchisaurus are that he was a prosauropod from the early Jurassic period, about 200 million to 188 million years ago and was a vegan. By contrast, the ever-popular T. Rex lived about 85 million to 65 million years ago. Bones later identified as anchisaurus were discovered in 1818 in Connecticut, and later in Massachusetts, relatively close to Brooklyn, and nowhere near the Sahara.

alt

• VM44
    VM44

The Anchisaurus dinosaur was probably chosen by the artist as it looks somewhat "friendly". A drawing of the T-Rex dinosaur would have been too aggressive looking to be placed inside the cover of the peaceful "green" New World Translation. --VM44

• baddjuju
    baddjuju

Why did they put it there. Is it another slap in the face subliminal?

• Satanus
    Satanus

It was a prophecy pointin forward to the gieco talking lizard. The watchturd society got this right.

S

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I always thought it was a plateosaurus.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

I've seen this little guy in other works. Well similar at least. My guess on this one unlike other blatant plagiarisms that the watchtower has engaged in, this one was drawn by them. I'm sure they took ideas from others but it isn't like this is some fine piece of art. I think most of us could draw this.

• steve2
    steve2

Plonk a dinosaur on the cover-end map to give your version of the Bible an appearance of scholarly credibility.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Nathan: ..."All About Dinosaurs" (1953) by Roy Chapman Andrews. More than any other single individual, Roy Chapman Andrews was the real person upon whom the character Indiana Jones was based. He explored the world and he revealed the truth of the rocks, and went on to become Director of the American Museum of Natural History in Manhattan.

*wow...a 10 year old thread has been resurrected...the GT must be upon us...

About the individual that the character Indiana Jones was based upon...

Another person that was significant in the character development of Indiana Jones was Frederick Courteney Selous.

Selous was quoted by the WTS in the Feb 8, 1957 Awake! article Geology, the Bible and the Flood in support of their Canopy Theory.

Nathan, your theory that the dinosaur was 'plagiarized' from another source is sound. At the time that the WTS compiled their version of the green dinosaur bibble, they were also neck deep in the water canopy myth. The connections are there to assume that the green bibble dino also appeared in books relevant to such people as Selous and Andrews

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit