"Must You Believe It?" - Dec. 1st Wt ...

by tfs 7 Replies latest jw friends

• tfs
    tfs

*****posted by "Venice" from H2O*****

Hi all:

Would you believe it if someone told you that the December 1, 2000 issue of The Watchtower gives its readers permission to reject the published conclusions of the organization if these should in any way contradict God, ignore his Word, and violate common sense? You decide.

Read the following sizable extract from an article titled, “Must You Believe It?”:

---------------EXTRACT FROM article------------

The 12-year-old student was struggling to grasp the basic principle of algebra. His teacher presented the class with a seemingly straightforward algebraic calculation.
    “Let x=y and let them both have the value of 1,” he began.
    ‘So far so good,’ thought the student.

After four lines of what looked like logical calculation, however, the teacher produced a startling result: “Therefore, 2=1!”
    “Disprove that,” he challenged his bemused students.
    With his very limited knowledge of algebra, the young student could not see how to disprove it. Every step in the calculation looked perfectly valid. Should he, then, believe this strange conclusion? After all, his teacher was much more versed in mathematics than he was. Of course he should not! ‘I do not have to disprove this,’ he thought to himself. ‘Common sense tells me that this is absurd.’ (Proverbs 14:15,18) He knew that neither his teacher nor any of his classmates were going to exchange two dollars for one!

In time the algebra student did find the flaw in the computation. Meanwhile, the experience taught him a valuable lesson. Even when someone with vastly superior knowledge presents a carefully crafted and seemingly unassailable argument, a listener need not believe a foolish conclusion simply because he cannot disprove it at the time. The student was actually following a very practical Bible principle found at 1 John 4:1—not to believe too quickly everything you hear, even when it appears to come from an authoritarian source.

This does not mean that you should stubbornly stick to preconceived ideas. It is a mistake to close your mind to information that could adjust mistaken views. But neither should you be “quickly shaken from your reason” in the face of pressure from someone who claims to have great knowledge or authority. (2 Thessalonians 2:2) The teacher, of course, was merely playing a trick on his students. Sometimes, though, things are not so innocent. People can be extremely “cunning in contriving error.”—Ephesians 4:14; 2 Timothy 2:14,23,24….

The most renowned of thinkers have been proved wrong again and again, even though what they taught seemed at the time to be beyond dispute….

The situation is the same today. In contrast with the confusing and conflicting opinions of men, God’s inspired Word provides a solid foundation on which we can base our beliefs. (John 17:17; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Peter 1:21) Without it we are left in the impossible situation of trying to build something solid on the shifting sands of human theories and philosophies.—Matthew 7:24-27….

Whatever authority people may arrogate to themselves, you do not have to accept their conclusions if they contradict God, ignore his Word, and violate common sense. In the final analysis, the wise course is always to “let God be found true, though every man be found a liar.”—Romans 3:4. (pp. 29-31)

---------end of EXTRACT from article--------

Would you say that unprecendented groundwork is being laid for the emerging of a New, more open-minded, thinking, autonomous, JW for the future or 21st century? One that does not have to "cowtow" down to every whim and wish of the G.B./WTS? Could this information be used to substantiate such a "new" viewpoint?

What do you think?

TFS

Edited by - TFS on 1 November 2000 8:21:51

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

This is the same type of doublespeak that has been evident in WT articles for years. The intent, I am sure, is once again to convince worldly people to question what they've been told if it doesn't fit with what the JW's are telling them.

Once firmly entrenched in the BOrg, everyone is taught that the FDS gets their information from the Holy Spirit, and everything they say is firmly entrenched in Biblical principles....therefore, not to be questioned, since by questioning the "food" from the Slave, you are questioning God, himself. Of course, if a mistake is made, it is because the FDS are imperfect and they couldn't discern exactly what the Holy Spirit meant....after all, they're getting old....the eyesight isn't as good....the hearing is a little fuzzy....and the Holy Spirit speaks softly.....the FDS is bound to mess things up now and then. This doesn't mean that anyone should "run ahead of Jehovah" by indulging in "independent thinking" and thereby "grieve the Holy Spirit".

No, I don't think that any JW will take it as an approved option to question what the FDS says.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

No, I don't think that any JW will take it as an approved option to question what the FDS says.

That's for sure. These types of articles are written for worldly people - not jw's - and any dub who thinks differently just needs to ask any elder.

Curiously, even when the QFR said that voting is a conscience matter, several local brothers I asked concerning this said the WTBTS had to print this because they were getting bad publicity and afraid of being viewed a cult. They emphatically added that any spiritual brother would recognize this and use his Bible-trained conscience to determine that voting is still wrong and not do it.

Get 'em - keep 'em anyway you can.

waiting

• Peter
    Peter

Waiting:
    Ditto with the new blood doctrine that leaves it up to the individual.

• Simon
    Simon

I think they are trying to promote the idea that even if someone can PROOVE from the bible that the WatchTower is wrong, you still mustn't believe them - it is really a trick.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    The most renowned of thinkers have been proved wrong again and again, even though what they taught seemed at the time to be beyond dispute….

Isn't that the truth.

I mean, it seemed to make so much sense "at the time to be beyond dispute", did it not? But that was really because no one was in actual fact permitted to dispute anything without consequence.

Who before 1995 could really come out and say "i don't believe "a biblical generation" means a "generation"? Who would have thought "abstaining from blood" would one day mean you could take parts of it? It just made so much sense at the time. Nowadays, explanations seemed to be stretched beyond reason.

On paper, once again in the age of cult awareness, the WTS can point to their printed material and say "see, this is what we teach, that people have a right to disagree with what someone in authority teaches." They can vote, choose their own medical treatments. Sure we can, but at what price?

Path

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I share the sentiments of those who replied here. The WTS is using its famous 'double meaning' language here as it has been doing for many years.

But neither should you be “quickly shaken from your reason” in the face of pressure from someone who claims to have great knowledge or authority.

The Watchtower would never use a phrase like that to describe itself.

God’s inspired Word provides a solid foundation on which we can base our beliefs.

Of course this 'inspired Word' is the Bible as explainedby the WTS. That has already been established in the minds of JW's.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• TR
    TR
    Even when someone with vastly superior knowledge presents a carefully crafted and seemingly unassailable argument, a listener need not believe a foolish conclusion simply because he cannot disprove it at the time. The student was actually following a very practical Bible principle found at 1 John 4:1—not to believe too quickly everything you hear, even when it appears to come from an authoritarian source

This quote seems evident to me to be a slam against "apostate" ideas and logic. In other words, "don't listen to the apostates!"

The teacher, of course, was merely playing a trick on his students. Sometimes, though, things are not so innocent. People can be extremely “cunning in contriving error.”—Ephesians 4:14; 2 Timothy 2:14,23,24….

This quote is another warning to stay away from "apostates".

Tom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit