STOP K-HALL BLDG NEAR GRADE SCHOOL

by DannyHaszard 8 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Neighbors appeal church?s building permit
    Corvallis Gazette Times, OR - 2 hours ago
    ...on nearby school property, residents of the Country Club Meadows subdivision off Southwest 35th Street are seeking to stop local Jehovah?s Witnesses from ... [email protected] managing editor Frustrated by years of increased traffic and parking problems caused by various activities on nearby school property, residents of the Country Club Meadows subdivision off Southwest 35th Street are seeking to stop local Jehovah?s Witnesses from building a new Kingdom Hall at the corner of 35th and Philomath Boulevard.On Aug. 2 the Corvallis Planning Commission approved a conditional-use permit to allow religious assembly on the property recently purchased by the Jehovah?s Witnesses congregation. Two weeks later, however, an appeal was filed by Tom and Julie Rondeau, Tirtha and Aimee Dhakhwa, Candace Croney and Cathyrn Wallace ? homeowners on Southwest Birdie Drive and Southwest Par Place, south of the church?s corner lot.

The appeal will be heard by the City Council on Monday during a 7 p.m. land-use hearing in the meeting room of the downtown Corvallis Fire Station, 400 N.W Harrison Blvd. The Rondeaus moved into the subdivision about eight years ago, knowing there would be plenty of activities in and around the two schools across the street ? Adams Elementary and Westland Middle School. ---

The appeal will be heard by the City Council on Monday during a 7 p.m. land-use hearing in the meeting room of the downtown Corvallis Fire Station, 400 N.W Harrison Blvd. Oregon

• blondie
    blondie

So what are there reasons for not having a KH near an elementary school? Is there a registered sex offender attending the congregation?

Blondie

• carla
    carla

Blondie, how would anybody know if there was registered sex offender? I hardly think the kh is going to give out the names of all it's members.

• blondie
    blondie

Carla, Wisconsin does have a registered sex offender website. Many other states do too. Actually, how would anyone know there was a registered sex offender where you work. Businesses are not required to report that to the community or their employees. I saw a business have big trouble when an employee did run an employee's name through the registered offender website and up popped a coworker. The lawyer for the business said they had no legal obligation to report it. That created a nasty response from the employees.

I'm just wondering what would be a legitimate legal zoning reason to keep a KH from building near an elementary school. Ones that wouldn't also be there if it was a church building there.

Blondie

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

I'm wondering the same thing Blondie. I would love to see them not get a permit, but that doesn't mean that they should be discriminated against. If another church can be installed, why can't JW's?

HS

• blondie
    blondie

I might mention that I work with a group that has identified child molesters in Catholic, Protestant, and nondenominational churches. Pedophiles are everywhere.

Blondie

• amused
    amused

If they had to obtain a "conditional use" permit, it would indicate that the lot is not actually zoned for a church. I have served on planning and zoning commission in the past and a "specific use" or "conditional use" permit was needed if someone wanted to build something on a lot that was not zoned for that application. Property owners within 200 yards had to be notified of the intended use and were given the opportunity to object at a public hearing. If no one objects and the commissioners are favorable the permit will be granted. That's just my exerience in a small town in Texas. I'm not sure what the situation was here, though.

• truth.ceeker
    truth.ceeker
    I have learned that this part of the country, from Portland, Oregon and northward up to the surrounding Seattle Washington area has the highest concentration of Level 2 and Level 3 sex offenders. I can't recall exactly where I read that, somewhere on this forum several months back. Maybe you can confirm or correct this information. I am more aware of such now that my daughters are of school age and attending elementary schools by searching through the online databases.

..truth.ceeker..

• free2beme
    free2beme

I would think the more likely reason, would just be people not wanting increased traffic in a neighborhood of a lot of children and have nothing to do with sex offenders. Something like this happened near where I lived, when a Christian church was planning to build. The people felt their was to much traffic caused by having a church near the school and could increase the likelihood of a child being struck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit