Need Some Input

by Moridin 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Moridin
    Moridin

For the past few months I've been considering joining the army to help my family. Growing up as a JW I never went to college and don't have the money to go now. I'm 24 years old and have a wife of five years and a four year old daughter. We live basically in the slums of our town paying $750 a month for a small apartment. I know that going to the army I can go to college and can afford to help my family move into something nice. My father supports any decision that I make and says he will be proud of me being in the armed forces. He also said he would be scared for me because of recent world events. For me the only thing that really scares me is boot camp. My mom will probably disown me seeing how she is still a devout JW. But I'd like to know what others think. I go to the recruitors office tomorrow for a meeting. Look forward to the input.

• LDH
    LDH

Moridin, talk this one over with your wife....

But, if I was single again would definitely join the USMC. Have always been my favorite branch of the armed services. Perhaps because both parents are retired USMC.

Good luck.

Lisa

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Moridin, joining the Army, being scared of boot camp, why be ascared??? I went through army boot camp many years ago Vietnam era and it was one of the most exciting and funny experiences of my life, I enjoyed it immensely. We were cahallagened everyday, expected to put forth our best and we did. I still remember the Platoon DiI his assistants and The Senior Drill Instructor of the company. I remember the cigar smoking first sergeant and the Major who was our CO. It was hard demanding but with the right attitude it will be fun too. I loved the marching, the running, the obstacle courses, the grenade throwing , the rifle range, and the cadence the drums. All of it.
    Go joing, support your country, If not the Army then the Airforce I believe that you will find it very satisfying and you can have money for college later, college course monetary support while in, GO ahead join, you and your family will have times of sadness l(separation) but great times of joy too. You too can learn an old army prayer.
    Fem all but nine, 6 pallbearers, 2 roadguards and one to count cadence. Buff

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Moridin, I'm sure that considering this possibility is very frightening for your wife and daughter, especially now. However, the armed forces does provide training in a lot of areas, and the help towards a college fund is also very good.

Talk to the recruiter and assess your options. And definitely discuss it with your wife. Best of luck.

• Moridin
    Moridin

Thanks for the support. I did speak to my wife and she is supportive of it. I really do want to join, but I'm not sure if they'll let me. I've got a really minor case of asthma. I only use an inhalor maybe once or twice a year, but I've heard I won't be accepted if I have it. I don't know I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning. Well I'll keep you updated. Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit