inside the mind of a suicide bomber

by teejay 6 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

Someone, I'd like to know who, bought my daughter an electronic songbook. It has four bedtime lullabies that can be played by pressing a button that corresponds to one of its songs. The only song that it contains that I knew already was Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. I have the Little One convinced that it's a song I wrote, btw. She's told people so: "Daddy wrote that." It was hugely funny to hear her say it.

There's one other tune that I recognized. I've heard it my whole life -- I just didn't know the damn song had words. Well... it has words. Like I said, I didn't know all of the songs before but I know all four of them now. By heart. Upside down and backwards. I find myself singing them at work. The words and the melodies come to me out of the blue, by no means on purpose. Like I said, I wish I knew who bought my sweet Baby Girl that infernal book of kiddie songs -- oh, how I would like to chat with THAT jokester!

Yet, there's a silver lining that comes with the torment of singing them with her, to her, to myself when no one's around but me. The bonus is that I get to hear HER sing them all by herself. Yeah, she forgets some of the words and sings too fast in places, but oh, that sound! That voice -- so young and pure and innocent... and free. I've heard my share of uplifting music. Spirituals. Sublime harmonies of all descriptions. Jazz and Big Band and the greatest Classical humans have ever produced, but nothing compares, at least to this untrained ear, to the sound that comes from my baby when she sings one of those songs a cappella.

It was bedtime, and we lay down together with nothing but the light of the TV illuminating the room. She was singing, as much to herself as to me, and in that moment I counted myself one of the luckiest people on earth. In the rapturous moment, interrupting my reverie, came from nowhere thoughts of NYC. Thoughts of the unimaginable carnage are never far from me these days, and without trying -- surely not then under the gaze of my beautiful daughter -- I happened to wonder what would make a man fly to his death, on purpose, with several hundred innocent strangers along for the ride to oblivion.

My mind played a trick on me, for as I saw and heard my precious baby, happily singing, snuggled close, right in front of me, at the same time my mind groped to find the meaning in the incomprehensible -- it was RIGHT THEN, quietly somehow, almost as if someone had thrown a warm blanket over me, that I understood.

I see, for my daughter, what still remains of a reasonable hope for a bright future here in America. But what if... what if...

What if the constant talk on the street was of a foreign superpower continually meddling in the affairs of my neighborhood? What if it was the same kind of talk I remembered growing up in my father's house? What if, because of this foreign power's meddling, there was rampant unemployment, sickness, disease, lack of medical care and an overall dismal and failing hope for the future? And not just for me, but also for everyone I knew? What if I saw nothing more but the same, not only for me and my generation, but for my precious baby, innocently singing lullabies before me now?

In this setting, with unrelenting hopelessness all around, what if... what if someone came to me and said that I could make a difference, but what was required of me would come at a high price? What if, after weighing the offer of greatness against the current and relentlessly unending nothingness, I was already convinced of the inevitability of my sorry end, but equally convinced of a better life hereafter? What if I thought that, by doing something drastic, in spite of my horrible surroundings, my country's history, and clear facts, my life could take on monumental importance after all?

What if, amidst this setting thick with hopelessness and despair, I was approached, "chosen," as it were, to "make a difference"? What if my way was paid, where I could receive training that would set me apart from practically every person on earth? What if I COULD make a difference, if not for me, at least for my daughter, well... at least for my cousin... or my neighbor. Whatever the end result, at least within seconds *I* will be in Paradise.

In that instant, as my Little One sang one of her cursed lullabies in a voice from a finer world, in the quiet of the night, I understood what would make a man fly to suicide.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

During the hard, hard times America was suffering in the 90's, one man did feel that way. He felt "chosen" to send a messege. His name was Tim McVeigh.

• teejay
    teejay

During the hard, hard times America was suffering in the 90's, one man did feel that way. He felt "chosen" to send a messege. His name was Tim McVeigh.

Surely you jest, Six. The terrible economic times in the 90s, eh? You mean during one of the greatest boom times this country has ever seen in peacetime?

Yeah... yeah... I see your point! I guess someone could stretch a mcveigh's pathetic, hopeless circumstances back then -- white, young, male, Gulf War medal winner on the GI Bill and, oh... btw, living in America -- with the circumstances of an average Palestinian. Yeah, I can see all of the similarities. How could I have missed them?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You go live in the "hood" of backwoods Iowa for a few years, try to keep a trans am and a girlfriend. See if you don't make friends with some fertilizer.

• Seeker
    Seeker

It goes even deeper, into the religious thoughts inside their heads. For them, we are infidels, dogs who are damned by their God anyway. What is our life to them, the true followers of God?

They hate us for religious reasons, as well as political. That is why there will be no reasoning with them, no repentance from them, and no respite from their side no matter who and how many we kill.

Religious fanatacism is a terrible thing in any form. What they did to America is merely in a concrete, immediate sense what You Know and the WTS and Rex and the fundies tell us God wants to do to those of us who do not believe precisely the same as they do. Just as there is no reasoning with You Know or Rex on this board, there will be no reasoning with these terrorists. We've all seen how blind a religious fanatic can be.

• crossroads
    crossroads

Teejay I have a ten year old and I can see the point you
    are making. It is valid. Here's Dylan's take " When you
    ain't got nothin' you got nothin' to lose". Now add kids
    and religous fanaticism and you get................................

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Tj,

Iam getting tired of seeing death and destruction, day in day out for over a week now. Today I resolved to go back to work, my life, and try and put the horror out of mind. I will never forget what happened, nor will I lose my resolve (I hope) to see justice done..and as swiftly as possible.

Your post was refreshing to read. A reminder that with all the darkness around us, we can still find some 'peace and security'. It was one more story, that proves mankind is filled with a sense of goodness...twinkle twinkle little..:)...god forbid, we don't take the time now to find those little moments that bring relief. You certainly pulled at my heart strings.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit