JOSEPHUS AND THE DATE OF THE EXODUS!

by badboy 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• badboy
    badboy

ACCORDING TO ONE SOURCE, EXODUS TOOK PLACE ABOUT 590 YEARS(IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY!) before SOLOMON'S TEMPLE WAS STARTED,THIS WOULD MAKE EXODUS ABOUT 1552 BC,around Ahmose 1 time.

We are told by Josephus that Moses led an army into ETHIOPIA/CUSH capturing Meroe?

Do you think the above is correct?

What does WT say?

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Badboy, In the Insight book Vol. 1 page 777 "From Exodus to temple building.' says the time of the exodus was 1513 B.C.E. I have no idea when it was but if i had to choose, I would go with your information.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The figure in Josephus is 592 years. This is clearly based on the figure in 1 Kings 6:1 which gave 480 years from the Exodus to the laying of the Temple foundations, plus the 111 years added together from the book of Judges for the six periods of foreign bondage and oppression (the same period is added to the 339 years of judges in Acts 13:20, to reach a total of 450 years to the time of Samuel). Note that these are attempts by late Hellenistic-era chronographers to construct artificial chronologies through biblical exegesis, and there are many other competing chronographies (e.g. Eupolemus dated to Exodus to 1738 BC) and the LXX itself which was produced in Egypt also adjusts the figures in the Hebrew text to date the Flood and Creation earlier. Ideological aims are patent from these attempts, such as the attempt to accommodate the antiquity of Egyptian civilization in the LXX figures, or the attempt by others to date the Jewish civilization (as reckoned from Moses) earlier than the Greek civilization (as reckoned from the Trojan war); compare the argument in Aristobulus (second century BC) that Greek civilization is derived from the Jewish.

The account of the Ethiopian campaign by Moses in Josephus, Antiquities 2.238-253 is generally believed to have been derived from the earlier account given by Artapanus (third century BC), who himself probably drew on Manetho and oral tradition. Since Manetho had himself confused the Israelites with the Hyksos rulers of Egypt, possibly either Manetho or Artapanus attributed a story about a Hyksos campaign to Ethiopia to the Israelites.

• hampstead
    hampstead

year of exodus was 2448 heb calendar, or 1312bce or 3318 years ago. Horemhab was ruler of exodus.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

As Leolaia pointed out the chronolgies and legends continued to be in flux even as late as Josephus and beyond. The Masoretic chronolgy is internally inconsistant and itself apparently the product of imperfect redaction aimed at timing events to culminate in 4,000 at the rededication of the Temple in 164BC or so. Moses and the Exodus are possibly the aggrandized echo of some minor migration to Palestine, however the peoples of both Judah and Israel were indigenous to the region not dislocated foreigners.

• badboy
    badboy

I keep looking at internet sites,and am confused.

Some evidence indicate Tuthmosis 1.

WHEN DID EGYPTIANS TAKE Meroe?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Here is an interesting series of articles that attempts to use archaeological findings and our current knowledge of when certain parts of the Bible were written to find out where the Israelites came from in relation to other peoples and cultures of the time and area. As always, read critically and skeptically.
    http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/biblewho1.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit