Before the Music Dies

by purplesofa 8 Replies latest social entertainment

• purplesofa
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

Lately there have been comments about music and how it has changed and the old stuff is better.

I found this site and thought some of us would find it interesting and true.

We are not the only one that has noticed that the crap on the radio is just that crap.

purps

• purplesofa
  • hippikon
    hippikon

There is still a lot of good contemporary music around ? it?s just harder to find ? (And you have to keep an open mind)

Few recent groups I quite like

Brain Donor
    Modest Mouse
    Wolfmother
    Danse Society

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer old school to new school music. My theory is, if you like what you hear now, the roots of that sound lies somewhere. Hip hop is what is popular, and hip hop is the child of funk music, so I listen to a lot of funk. I like discovering the roots of ideas...who made the song first. Who was original, and who was not. There are good acts out there, and I really don't support the current acts enough to say that there's no more good music being made. It's just tougher. You gotta dig for those good acts. Hopefully you have a more efficient means of finding good new acts. But either way, it doesn't hit you in the face like the old school stuff does. I am attracted to things that have stood the test of time, mainly, stuff that gets my booty gyrating from 25-30 years ago.

But what's a young, impressionable kid to do? Flavor-of-the-Month gets all the air time, both on TV and on the radio. You gotta dig.

I don't know if you could make sense of the rambling, but there it is.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

Good post PPS. The music is still there though. Just not on the radio.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

monkeyshine........happy birthday....!

purps

• juni
    juni

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONKEYSHINE!

WOW 31 YRS. OLD. WISH I COULD GO BACK TO THOSE DAYS. OR DO I? MY YOUNGEST WOULD'VE BEEN 3 AND I HAD 3 OTHER KIDS TOO. YES I WOULD, BUT OUTSIDE OF THE JW RELIGION. WOUDN'T HAVE THE 'HEAVY YOKE' OF WT LIFE AND THE PLETHERA OF RULES.

GOOD TOPIC PURPS! I'M OLDER THAN YOU BY 10 YRS. AND I HAVEN'T HEARD OF A LOT OF THE GROUPS NOW. NOR LIKE A LOT OF THE MUSIC.

I LISTEN TO MY OWN STUFF FROM DECADES AGO. EVEN MY DAUGHTER WHO IS 31 LISTENS TO THE "OLDER" STUFF.

JUNI http://www.whrc-wi.org/americanpie.htm - AN INTERESTING BREAKDOWN OF THE LYRICS IN THE SONG THAT THE WT DECLARED A NO-NO "AMERICAN PIE".

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's all according to the times the youth of today are into hip hop which is not really a melodic kind of music but that is the in thing. I personally prefer the music of the 1960's and 1970's as I notice many people here do, but that could be due to having grown up with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit