Organization

by JWdaughter 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

How many religions have a central, organized body? I can think of 3 offhand-the WT Society/Jehovah's Witnesses, The Roman Catholic Church and Latter-day Saints/Mormons. Any others that have a main HQ that sends out doctrine? I am not sure if Scientology is a 'religion'. The Pope, the Governing Body and the (LDS) Prophet are the only 'heads' that I know of that are looked to as such.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

The better question is how many DON'T have a central, organised body, because nearly all of them do.

There is nothing wrong with having some kind of organising body. The problem is the extent to which the body has power and authority over the members.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Yadayadayada says: There is nothing wrong with having some kind of organising body. The problem is the extent to which the body has power and authority over the members.

That is what I was meaning. The pope/GB/Prophet syndrome. What other religions offer such a few or one people/person that much control over the entire religous group of people?

• xjwms
    xjwms

Do the Mormons ...CONTROL...their members

as hard as the JW's ?

I always thought they had a different influence.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The difference between the pope and the GB of the JWs is that the former does not seek (not nowadays anyhow) to rigorously control the lives of his church members.

Any JW that disagrees with the GB will have serious consequences coming his way in a very short time but not so with the pope and his fold. So yes it's how they rule that really matters, are they intrusive or discreet?

• blondie
  • xjwms
    xjwms

Blondie

Thanks

Just looking over some of the stories...many there are in pain as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit