Jehovah's Witnesses and Education - The Credibility Dilemma

by Nicodemus 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Nicodemus
    Nicodemus

"It is only the ignorant who despise education" - Publilius Syrus, Moral Sayings, first century B.C.E.

As quoted in Awake! of March 8, 1998

The special September 2006 issue of Awake!, entitled "Is There a CREATOR", exposes, perhaps unwittingly, one of the dilemmas with respect to the current tightening position with respect to education. (For more on the history of this issue, please see my post "Jehovah's Witnesses and Education - A Brief History" here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/98701/1.ashx)

On pages 21-23 of this Awake!, there can be found an article entitled "Why We Believe in a CREATOR." In this article, 5 different Jehovah's Witnesses are interviewed as to why they personally believe in the existence of a Creator.

The first point that may jump out at the thinking reader is that it happened to be five highly-educated Witnesses who were selected to be interviewed. While their specific educational credentials are not listed, it seems safe to assume that individuals actively working in the fields of genetic mutation in plants, laser physics, planetary geology, molecular biology and microbiology, and theoretical physics--and for the employers listed--are the possesors of college degrees, possibly even advanced degrees. At the very least, it could be considered a badge of honor within the Witness community to be directly quoted in an issue of Awake!, particularly a special issue such as this one. At least in this instance, a quality education led to this privilege.

But it seems to me that there is another underlying issue that should be mentioned. Some time back, speaking to a group of assembled elders, a senior Bethel representative went to great pains to explain that the Society was not anti-education. He clarified that individuals could take trade courses, technical courses, all manner of things to pick up skills. However, the Society seemed to take the position that it was the process of obtaining "a four-year degree," with all of the associated general education and other requirements, that should be considered undesirable. (See paragraph 6 of the article " Parents—What Future Do You Want for Your Children?" in the 10/01/05 issue of The Watchtower)

The "credibility dilemma," however, is that in many fields it is precisely the acquisition of such a degree that makes one employable, that opens the door to opportunities in the field.

In this Awake! issue, there isn't one carpenter, janitor, truck driver, landscape maintenance technician, or similar included in the article referenced above. Why? Because they lack the credibility needed to make the point the article wished to make. And it's not necessarily a matter of intelligence, or understanding. It's a matter of credibility. For example, it is entirely possibly that there is a brillant truck driver among Jehovah's Witnesses. This man (or woman) may have a keen mind, a fascination with the question at hand, may have done extensive personal reading, and be quite able to converse eloquently on the topic.

But, for the goal the article was trying to accomplish, and the target audience it was attempting to reach, such a person would simply not have had the necessary credibility.

If the writers of Awake! felt they needed a level of credibility to reach their target audience, why ask a young person to invest the time taking courses to develop a skill, but not follow it through to the extent of obtaining the very thing necessary to be credible to their target audience?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    If the writers of Awake! felt they needed a level of credibility to reach their target audience, why ask a young person to invest the time taking courses to develop a skill, but not follow it through to the extent of obtaining the very thing necessary to be credible to their target audience?

Because they don't trust young persons to make decisions for themselves without compromising their faith in the WTS. Their policy is that of discouraging everyone from obtaining 4-year degrees or above, that way the "weak-minded" ones don't risk their faith, while the "strong-minded" ones go ahead with their education and perhaps go to Bethel or something.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Because they don't trust young persons to make decisions for themselves without compromising their faith in the WTS. Their policy is that of discouraging everyone from obtaining 4-year degrees or above, that way the "weak-minded" ones don't risk their faith, while the "strong-minded" ones go ahead with their education and perhaps go to Bethel or something.

I heard that constantly when I was about to graduate from High School. "If you go to college far from home, you're going to end up leaving the Truth TM ." It seemed absolute: you leave home and surround yourself with people who don't think like you do, you will end up spiritually dead. Even at that time, it sent off warning bells in my head: if you don't keep yourself indoctrinated, you will stop believing.

The implications abounded. What kind of faith is this religion building in me? Was it all so weak that I'd discard it at first chance? I didn't think it would, but older people knew better...or so I thought...

• parakeet
    parakeet

***If the writers of Awake! felt they needed a level of credibility to reach their target audience, why ask a young person to invest the time taking courses to develop a skill, but not follow it through to the extent of obtaining the very thing necessary to be credible to their target audience?***
    The gb and writers are hoping the r&f will not notice this dilemma.
    I think the WTS is trying to kill two birds here:
    1. They're trying to convince their followers that they've already done the necessary research and have the experts to back it up, so dubs shouldn't attempt doing the research themselves (who knows what they might dig up).
    2. They're appealing to (anonymous] authority to convince nonJWs that their explanation is correct.
    If their experts were described as "highly educated" only, that could mean high school and a few college credits -- that's more education that most JWs are permitted to obtain. Qualified researchers are not afraid to place their names and qualifications behind their opinions.

***"It is only the ignorant who despise education" - Publilius Syrus, Moral Sayings, first century B.C.E.***
    Not bad for a pagan!

• V
    V

"Educatation"

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

There was a brother in my original congregation that finished school with the least possible education. His goald was to go to Bethel. Directly after school he applied for Bethel service but was rejected because they did not have any use for an uneducated guy like him.

That left some a bit surprised. But he later married, moved, became an elder and service overseer.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    There was a brother in my original congregation that finished school with the least possible education. His goald was to go to Bethel. Directly after school he applied for Bethel service but was rejected because they did not have any use for an uneducated guy like him.

I bet this didn't make the pages of the Watchtower.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

parakeet - you are pretty smart for a bird. I agree totally. And Nicodemus, nice thread. Lilly

• Tristram
    Tristram
    The "credibility dilemma," however, is that in many fields it is precisely the acquisition of such a degree that makes one employable, that opens the door to opportunities in the field.

Its the acquistion of a degree that makes one more employable in any field.

A point I have heard many, many times from the platform to discourage the traditional 4 year degree is that "30% of all college graduates do not even work in their field!"

But there is a good chance that a large majority of that "30%" (honestly i am not sure of the figure, could be higher or lower) is employed in either a related or even non related field and is making a comfortable salary or has a personally rewarding and satisfying job.

Good post as always, Nicodemus. And far too few and far between.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit