For the British types-Soccer

by JWdaughter 3 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

The only sport I ever played competitively was soccer(football), and I can thank my non-JW dad for that. I STILL dont' get the excitement over the soccer games, teams etc. over there. It seems even nuttier than ours about baseball and football and ours is pretty extreme. Is that the only sport you all get excited about? And do guys wear real shorts or those stupid culotte like shorts that they do in our basketball teams nowadays? Cause if they wear real shorts that is the only thing I can think of that would make it worth scouting out a pub to watch. . .BTW, I played goalie when in grade school, and I was good!(Fat, so it was hard to miss me-but FAST)

Any insight into the fascination would be appreciated.

• south african beef
    south african beef

Just like to add that England hold the Ashes - mind you no one outside England or Australia is going to have a clue what I'm on about!

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

There is no sport in the world that tops Footbal (soccer). This is my club in action recently. Oh the joy...oh the pain!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hvHpRmHZc4&mode=related&search=

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

You got me thinking now - dangerous!!

I find that football in my part of the country seems to have a lot of tribalism attached - like if you get a Yorkshire team playing a Lancashire one. Now some say that this goes back to the 'Wars of the Roses' (York v. Lancaster) but if folks actually look at the history, they will see that the battle lines weren't drawn quite as clearly as is imagined - a lot of Yorkshire was actually fighting with the Lancaster camp and vice versa.

Now the history's out of the way, I wonder if it's a psychological thing - we have nothing else much to get excited about + we're renowned for complaining - about the weather, politics, the price of a loaf of bread!!! Then there's emotional repression (British stiff upper lip and all that). That's an explosive mixture when you do find something to get excited about - multiply it by a few thousand people all crammed in one place and....

It's completely different watching a game on tv - unless you're with a crowd - because you obviously don't have the atmosphere.

And yes, footballers wear proper shorts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit