Outrage

by paulvarjak 2 Replies latest jw friends

• paulvarjak
    paulvarjak

This morning, I awoke and read discussions on this board from ones who were frightened by the events of the week, who are still manipulated by longheld JW beliefs to see this as a sign and I was outraged.

When I began to read my Sunday paper, I was further outraged by the tragedy in New York, Washington D.C. and Pittsburg and the following statements from Dr. David Skidmore, professor of political science and international relations at Drake University. Commenting on the assumption of Arab nations he stated that in the Arab mind "the United States is all-powerful, is in control and dictates things...If something happens, it is because the United States wants it."

I remembered how I once believed as a JW that Satan was in control and responsible for all things evil. How it was "us against them". The "world" versus "God's chosen people". "Christian warfare". Granted, JWs are not a militant group. But the fundamentalist thoughts responsible for this weeks sensless violence and JW fundamentalism are eerily similar.

So are the effects. Without minimizing or trivializing the tragedy that happened in my nation, I must admit that the results of this weeks terrorism are similar to JW fundametalism - families and communities being torn appart or destroyed. 4,800 victims this week. How many suffer enforced shunning so far this year? How could I have once believed this?

When I think of persons considering going back to the Witnesses precisely because of the fear that they have engendered, there is only anger and grief.

• think41self
    think41self

Paulvarjak,

Thank you for your post. My husband and I were discussing some of these same points this morning! How many of us have lost every friend or relative we ever had, OVERNIGHT...because of the actions of this fundamentalist religion? We can greatly empathize with other victims of tragedies, can we not?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

think41self

"Not believing is not the same as not knowing."

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Paul,
    Excellent thoughts!
    The WTS most definitely perpetrates and encourages emotional and psychological terrorism against former members. I know there are many who feel as if their families are dead to them. There are many ways of 'killing' other than the physical. Psychologically slain and decimated families,hopes dreams love,,,,,,thanks,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit