Can Warren Jeffs Safely Hide Behind Religious Freedom? Watchtower?

by skeeter1 7 Replies latest social current

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I heard on the news that Warren Jeffs defense is "religious freedom" which precludes the government from persecuting him. He, apparently, strongly believes he is gaining God's glory by having multiple wives & marrying young girls. He thinks these actions are ordained by God.

Religious freedom is not a defense to crimes. One is not allowed to hide behind the veil of religious freedom as a defense for crimes, incluing child rape.

Do you think he'll get away with his crimes by citing "religious freedom"? If he does get away with his crimes, do you think that other pedophiles will start their own religion in order to create a defense?

What implications do you see for the Watchtower's hideous lies?

• badboy
    badboy

Lets hope not.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Of course he won't.
    However, I have struggled to find a way to apply this situation to the Watchtower and I can't. They aren't doing anything like marrying 13 year old girls off to 50 year old men against their will.
    Their biggest abrogations of justice are molestation (certainly not something unique to Witnesses) and blood transfusion denial (which has a long history of being upheld by the justice system.)

• Shining One
    Shining One

1) NO

2) NO

3) WTS hideous lies? No effect on them either. Cults often have a free ride in the media today. The World's Biggest Cult kills wantonly and with pleasure and the Stupid World of Political Correctness will not call it a cult! Go figure.
    Rex

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I've been watching CNN & Court TV on Mr. Jeffs arrest. These stations seem disgusted with this extreme religion. The reporters were mad about the small town's silence & unwillingness to be interviewed. The reporter talked about the shunning & other treatment that happened when a follower "fell away" and did not repent. The ex-members who interviewed, spoke in terms similar to the Witnesses - using words like "sheep" "[Mr. Jeffs] was appointed by God (God's mouthpiece)", "complete devotion to Mr. Jeff's words"...... The reporter did say that some of the followers were murmering about the attire of Mr. Jeffs & his wife. Mr. Jeffs was wearing shorts & a T-shirt, and his wife's hair was down. Apparently, the followers were disgruntled becuase Mr. Jeffs has constantly preached that Godly men did not wear short & a T-shirt and a woman's hair was always to be up in public. Gee, perhaps it was "New Light" or like the Watchtower's UN card .... "Do as I say, not as I do."

Skeeter

• Geronimo
    Geronimo
    I heard on the news that Warren Jeffs defense is "religious freedom" which precludes the government from persecuting him. He, apparently, strongly believes he is gaining God's glory by having multiple wives & marrying young girls. He thinks these actions are ordained by God.Religious freedom is not a defense to crimes. One is not allowed to hide behind the veil of religious freedom as a defense for crimes, incluing child rape. Do you think he'll get away with his crimes by citing "religious freedom"? If he does get away with his crimes, do you think that other pedophiles will start their own religion in order to create a defense What implications do you see for the Watchtower's hideous lies?

Polygamy has a long history and is still practised in other parts of the world. It shouldn't be illegal. A woman should be able to have as many husbands as are willing to marry her, and vice versa. At least people can do this with purely religious ceremonies, not legal ceremonies. I am only against polygamy if it involves kids under eighteen. Which this guy is guilty of. He's also a megalomaniac. I agree with his freedom of religion stance, and he does have religious freedom to marry as many women as are stupid enough to marry him, they just arent marriages recognized by the gummint. Yes, this guy is a pedophile, sort of. In the time of Jesus girls got married at about 14 and boys at around 16. I'm fairly sure. It's a cultural thing, this whole age of consent. I agree with our age of consent laws, but I also know that's my cultural upbringing not some law written by the finger of God. I don't see any implications here for WTS "bs." G

• undercover
    undercover

Jeffs is a scumbag and he'll get his, fer shur.

But, overall, religion is a protected commodity in the US of A. The fallout of Jeffs will hardly cause a ripple across the pond of religion. Religion, whether mainstream, cultish or just plain weird is allowed to exist because "freedom of religion" is protected by the constitution.

Not that many a charlatan has not realized this and fleeced the flocks over the years. The government seems to take the position that each individual must decide for themselves if they want the influence of religion in their lives or not and they're gonna stay out of it, until real, major crimes have been committed.

• Forscher
    Forscher

No.
    The Supreme Court in a series of decisions from the 1870s to the 1890s held that persons could be prosecuted and imprisoned for practicing polygamy despite the 1st Amendment. The court even went so far as to rules that the Morman Church could legally be dissolved and it's property confiscated if it continued to promote polygamy. So, Warren cannot hide behind the 1st Amendment and his sect can have it's properties confiscated if current state and federal statues permit it.
    It is something to think about.
    Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit