The Jefferson Bible

by bavman 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bavman
    bavman

Are any of you familiar with it? I just received a copy of Thomas Jefferson's bible. Not his personal bible but the bible coined as the 'The Jefferson Bible'. Jefferson was a Deist and an enlightened founding father here in the United States. He viewed Jesus as a great philosopher who wrote an outstanding 'moral'. Jefferson cut out of the Gospels what he deemed to be worthwhile passages that did not go into all the supernatural (for example his bible ends with Jesus burial place having a stone rolled in front of it w/o the ressurection story) and pasted them into his own version. It is a thin, very thin copy of the four main gospels but I have to agree it is about all that is necessary to concentrate on.Are any of you familiar with it? I just received a copy of Thomas Jefferson's bible. Not his personal bible but the bible coined as the 'The Jefferson Bible'. Jefferson was a Deist and an enlightened founding father here in the United States. He viewed Jesus as a great philosopher who wrote an outstanding 'moral'. Jefferson cut out of the Gospels what he deemed to be worthwhile passages that did not go into all the supernatural (for example his bible ends with Jesus burial place having a stone rolled in front of it w/o the ressurection story) and pasted them into his own version. It is a thin, very thin copy of the four main gospels but I have to agree it is about all that is necessary to concentrate on.

• bavman
    bavman

Ooops! Sorry about the above double post in one paragraph (forgive me as I was edumacated by AWAKE Academy).

• nutter
    nutter

Was he a nutter?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yes! I read it years ago. I enjoyed reading it very much. Leave some time open after reading it for contemplation.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I used to have a copy but sold it on Amazon. The common mistake thinking people often make is they assume an historical person at the core of the legend. The modern efforts of the Jesus Seminar are similarly based upon this indefensible premise. Its similar to taking the Goldilocks and the 3 Bears story, remove all the fanciful parts and imagine you've uncovered the "historical Goldilocks".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit