And if no after-life, what.......?????

by JW72 7 Replies latest jw friends

• JW72
    JW72

Regarding war and killing and justice:

I think the problem lies in what people 'believe in'.
    If you believe in any kind of after-life, you have a certain safety net that allows you to be extra peaceful and in a sense say 'it doesn't matter if I die because I'll be dying for my faith and I KNOW I'll be reunited with my family'.

But, what about those of us who don't believe in an after-life, THIS WORLD IS ALL WE HAVE.
    It is so unfair to expect us to sit back and peacefully protest and DIE in doing so.

It's ALL about whether you believe there is more than just this 'system' to look foreward to.

It is SO OBVIOUS.

That's what it's all about!!

Chris

• proplog2
    proplog2

I believe in death after life. Also, I am still waiting for a good in-the-body experience.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: But, what about those of us who don't believe in an after-life, THIS WORLD IS ALL WE HAVE.

Since we had no problem with non-existence before we were born, we should not have any problem with it after we croak.

Any after-death existence would then be a pleasant surprise. Unless of course we had to spend eternity selling religious literature to people who don't want it, that is!

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Satanus
    Satanus

It takes great courage to reach the conclusion you guys have. When i stopped bible belief, i turned to reading near death experiences. I still believe that the spirit goes on after death of the body. But i respect your belief.

S

• Introspection
    Introspection

People who believe in an afterlife can still live this life fully. I believe Farkel mentioned that his uncle who's a Mormon does kind deeds just for it's own sake? Which also brings up the subject of whether you're doing things for your own gain or others..

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

jw72 about the after life, those who don't believe in it will be either ashes or worm meat, and of course those that do will too. buff

• Satanus
    Satanus

Intro

Yes of course. I'm not paralyzed like jws or some christians. I do enjoy life, sometimes.

I believe that we pre-existed, came here for our own purposes, not gods. We can do whatever we want, but its better to figure out that purpose is and fill it. It's my theory, that if we don't, then we probably will choose to try again.

S

• JW72
    JW72

What I was trying to say was, a person who believes in some form of after-life or who believes that there is more than just this world to live in cannot have a debate about whether it is right or wrong to fight, in war, independantly, for your right to live. They cannot have this kind of debate with someone who believes that this world is all they have.

If two different kids are told not to fight over their sweets by different parents, and 1 kid thinks this is the last sweet he'll ever have and the other kid is more than confident of getting more from his parents and a bully comes along to take their sweets, they both feel the same-that it is wrong for the bully to come and take their sweets, however the boy who knows he'll get more from his parents, gives his sweets up to the bully, which pleases his parents, and should in turn lead to more sweets-very sweet!

However, the other kid, may think, 'well, I know my parents told me not to fight over sweets, but surely I'm justified in standing up against this bully and trying to keep my sweets'. He is more inclined to stand up for his right to keep the sweets because he knows he will not get any more, and what's more he thinks he's quite right to do so.

Lets look at this scene, both kids know it's wrong for the bully to take their sweets, however, one gives up his sweets peacefully, the other stands up for his right to have his sweets.

WHO IS RIGHT??

I'm sure you can apply this analogy to war and the situation regarding terrorist clamp-down.

The 2 kids can't really have a serious debate about whether they should give up their sweets or not because they both have such different situations.

Hope that clears this up.

Chris

Anyone who agrees, please let me know

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit