What about Sex and violence in the Bible?

by Gill 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

Awake October 2006

WHAT ABOUT SEX AND VIOLENCE IN THE BIBLE?

'What is the difference between the violence and sex shown on TV and that described in the Bible? The references to sex and violence in the Bible are written to instuct, not to entertain. (Rom 15:4) God's word records historical fact. It helps us to understand God's viewpoint on matters and to learn from the mistakes of others.'

The article then discusses how sex and violence is used for advertising. Then:

Though the Bible documents violent acts, it encourages people to live peaceful lives - not seeking revenge but settling problems peaceably. It consistently promotes sexual morality. This is not the message that comes through in much of what is broad cast on TV.'

Now, I have a problem with the Bible being 'historical fact'. I only myself realised that I knew NOTHING about history from the Bible as it is a book that can only be coroborated accurately from about 325 BCE. We already know about 607 and we're not going into that here.

However, the Bible is an incredibly violent book. Most of the OT is vicious and God is seen as angry, jealous, vindictive and murderous. The only thing anyone could learn about God is he's a psychopath. God does not plan to 'settle problems peacefully' according to the WTBTS, he plans to murder billions.

There's something wrong with the WTBTS reasoning here.

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

You've summed up the rotten gut feeling I have everytime I read the Bible. It is so violent, yet God wants people to live peacefully, unless he tells his servants to act out his will? Something is seriously wrong with this reasoning folks. The leaders today claim to have God's backing (many of the gods anyway). Sorry, that reasoning just doesn't hold water for me. At least with entertainment it is just for that purpose. It isn't trying to teach us how to live. Read the Hebrew scriptures and LEARN how to live, learn how to screw more than one woman if you believe God has said it is okay, learn how to kill because God says so, etc, etc...

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I really enjoy your threads Gill and this is not just because we think similarly but because they are insightful and make me put my fingers to work and actually post; if I lose my job becaus of this I will of course think differently lol.

The subject of sex and violence in the bible has always created a bit of a conflict to be honest. The WTS suggests that J will not tolerate wickedness yet throughout the bible he has not only tolerated it but accepted it on a considerable scale. Consider the following.

LOT

Wouldve sent a defenseless female out of his tent to be raped instead of an angel that couldve kicked the rapists arse in a second!

Had sex with his daughters but hey he was drunk so thats ok and acceptable. It does beg the question as to how he performed really if he was really that drunk...me thinks he wasnt)

DAVID

Guilty of murder and adultery on a huge scale...but hey that was ok too....

If hypothetically he can tolerate the above how much more can he tolerate the stuff we must do on a day to day basis? If that is the case why is there so much guilt and repression instigated at the hands of the WTS?

Just a thought as I was rambling through the thread.

DB74

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    'What is the difference between the violence and sex shown on TV and that described in the Bible?

On TV they don't collect the foreskins of the men they slaughter.

W

• lowden
    lowden

The Ancient Israelites and the god that they invented are among the sickest and most violent personages ever to be written about.

There are too many twisted, evil stories to mention but here's one.

Remember the Levite that went looking for his concubine that had run away? He finds her and then ends up giving her to be raped all night long by a bunch of wierdo's. Then when he finds her dead on the doorstep in the morning he gets angry with the men that raped her (but he gave her to them for that purpose?!!??!). So he chops her body up into twelve pieces and sends each piece to one of the 12 tribes of Israel.

Now i'm not usually lost for words but....

Peace and NO NIGHTMARES.

Lowden

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I was thinking the same Lowden. That account sickens and upsets me every time I read it. That levite was a stinking coward.

• lowden
    lowden

Ironhead

I remember reading in the Insight Book or maybe some other place, that the reason he shoved her out the door to the waiting mob was because it was better that she get raped than the Levite get BUGGERED..........because he was a HOLY man. Yeah.....and that means.....what exactly??!!

Well at least they attempted to explain it!

Peace

Lowden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit