This quote says it all...

by Justice-One 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

For the first time in my life, I was reading things, which had not been approved by the Prophet's censors, and the impact on my mind was devastating. Sometimes I would glance over my shoulder to see who was watching me, frightened in spite of myself. I began to sense faintly that secrecy is the keystone of all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy...censorship. When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to it's subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything---you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him. --- Robert A. Heinlein Revolt In 2100

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I've read a couple Heinlein books, but it was a long time ago. Any good recommendations?

• Andy C
    Andy C

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Hey, hopefully the revolt will come before them, eh?

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

I enjoyed Farnham's Freehold, and Starship Troopers. As well as 2100.

• Ouroboros
    Ouroboros

I am currently re-reading "Stranger in a Strange Land". Such a great book. Highly recommended.

"Revolt in 2100" is also a fantastic book.

Other favorites, in addition to those mentioned:

Time Enough for Love,

Friday

I Will Fear No Evil

To Sail Beyond the Sunset

The Cat Who Walks Through Walls

Citizen of the Galaxy

and many, many more....

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome ouroborus!

• VM44
    VM44

I read Rocket Ship Galileo in elementary school.

I was not impressed with how Heinlein turned the plot in the second half of the book towards killing Nazi's on the moon. But the book was published in 1947, a few years after WWII ended, so what can one expect from an author who glorified the military way of life (e.g. Starship Troopers)

--VM44

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    so what can one expect from an author who glorified the military way of life (e.g. Starship Troopers)

I'm not so sure that he glorified the military. But what he did do, was try to show that freedoms are not free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit