Where did the story of Hezekiah and the moving shadow originate from?

by truthseeker 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

The account of Hezekiah and the mysterious shadow is a strange one. It is the only account of Jehovah ever lengthening someone's life by a fixed period. In Hezekiah's case, he was granted an additional 15 years. Nice to live longer, but it's also terrifying knowing the exact year you would die.

The whole story doesn't sound authentic, meaning it's not something I could see Jehovah doing for just one person and not for anyone else. Enoch lived to be only 365 years then God "took him", but allowed Noah to live longer. Why couldn't Enoch have gone on the ark? 15 years is not a long time, why couldn't God just have cured Hezekia of his illness and allow him to live out his natural life?

The sign that Jehovah would given Hezekiah to extend his life and protect the city would be a shadow that moved. Oddly enough, the shadow went backwards.

Isaiah 38:2-8 Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD, "Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." And Hezekiah wept bitterly. Then the word of the LORD came to Isaiah: "Go and tell Hezekiah, 'This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will add fifteen years to your life. And I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria. I will defend this city. " 'This is the LORD's sign to you that the LORD will do what he has promised: I will make the shadow cast by the sun go back the ten steps it has gone down on the stairway of Ahaz.' " So the sunlight went back the ten steps it had gone down. Does anyone have any insights on this account?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I recall this being discussed some time back but the details elude me. All I can say for now is that its generally assumed the "steps" refer to an spirical sundial. Hezekiah like others apparently worshipped a solar deity. Interestingly, historically, Hezekiah's seal was 2 anhks and a winged disk, solar symbols.

Decovb.jpg (38047 bytes) When a sign is sought from God in this story naturally then a solar sign is given. Some have sought to explain the story as being an explanation for an eclipse, who knows.

Hezekiah's life extension part is a rather odd episode I agree, I think there is more to the story but I can't recall reading much of value.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Not what you were asking for?

• Zodiakos
    Zodiakos

"For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen"

This verse is from Romans. The judgments and ways of God are unsearchable and untraceable. This is the way of faith, of Pistis. You may pray to Pistis for faith, your faith, to be strengthened. You must have faith because the questions you ask have no answers in this lifetime. This world is the place for faith to be learned. In the Aion to come you will know even as you are known, for you shall see Him face to face.

God is love. Spend some time with John the Apostle today, in his wonderful Gospel or one of his Epistles. You will be blessed, especialy if you seek God in prayer first. If you do not know what to pray, the Lord Jesus has told us: "When ye pray, SAY, Our Father which art in Heaven, hallowed be thy Name. They kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us tresspasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from all evil. For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory unto the aions of the aions, amen."

Christos Anesti (Christ is Risen)
    Zodiakos

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Sorry to reply so late PeacefulPete,

Your comments were interesting, thank you.

I still find the moving shadow thingy a bit iffy, but you never know.

Just imagine being told you will effectively die in 15 years! I don't know, I suppose it's better than nothing at all.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I tried not be too explicit when offering my opinion. The story possibly preserves some ancient tradition about Hezekiah and his syncretic approach to worship. It might be, as I said, a story created to explain an eclipse from that time, but ultimately I do not believe the story happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit