Clinton Woman's Family Awaits Court Decision On Medical Issue

by calico 5 Replies latest watchtower medical

• calico
  • troubled mind
    troubled mind

Clinton is not that far from me . I called someone that knows people in that hall, and they said the husband is a baptized witness but the wife is not baptized yet . They didn't want to give me to much information other than they are a younger couple with an eight yr old son . They couldn't tell me why the woman was in the medical induced coma .

• calico
    calico

The report on TV said her condition was the result of medication--must have been a bad reaction.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Clinton Woman's Family Awaits Court Decision On Medical Issue

Aug 15, 2006 08:57 AM CDT
    Clinton Family Awaits Court Decision

This morning two families await a judge's ruling about the future of a Clinton woman. Tawnya Nissen is in a medically induced coma in an Iowa City hospital.

Right now her husband has the power to make medical decisions for her. She did not leave behind a clear medical directive. Twnya's family took him to court yesterday so they could get guardianship.

Her husband is a Jehovah's Witness both sides are disputing whether she is also. The concern is about a blood transfusion. It's against the Jehovah's Witness religion to undergo one. Right now Tawnya doesn't need one, but in the future she might. Her family says they want her to have one in a life saving situation.

A judgment in the case is expected today. At the center of this case is a potential blood transfusion. Jehovah's Witnesses say getting one goes against the Bible. It urges its members to refuse to accept blood transfusions and to not allow them to be given to their children.

Their decision is based upon four passages in the bible which they interpret as prohibiting the consuming of blood.

E-mail us your thoughts on this story.

Viewer Comments About This Story

Viewer Comments About This Story

Aug 15, 2006 01:05 PM CDT

This news article is about my cousin. I would just like to say that our family is anxiously awaiting the judge's decision on this matter and I hope that the outcome will lend itself to us being able to see Tawnya very soon. Her husband has forbid any of her family from seeing her or learning of her condition. I know that her parents and her sister are waiting to see her and our whole family is very worried about her condition. Thank you for your coverage of our story. I hope that it will shed some light onto this hospital's practices involving family members and on the issue of leaving clear medical directives for your spouse and family in case of emergencies. We all love Tawnya very much and hope that we will be able to see her very soon.

Because of the dispute of Tawnya's religion I hope the court awards guardianship to the family. It is a mother's duty and responsibility to protect her children at all costs no matter how old your child may be. It is sad to see Tawnya's husband and family being torn apart over this. They need to work together for her sake and do what's best for her.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think this paper is giving anyone on this board a chance to comment about the blood issue.

Maybe a mod can fix my lame post of the article and comment from readers.

purps

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Update .....Tonight the local news reported the woman's family won custody over her medical decisions while she is in a coma . Taking those rights away from her husband . She is in a medical induced coma because of a severe reaction to dieting pills according to the report .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit