Anybody ever do this?:

by Trippin2962 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Trippin2962
    Trippin2962

Anybody ever do this?:

I read through the various threads here and often think of how I used to think being a JW. When I read through the thread about "Holidays and Birthdays" it kind of took me back to my first time coming to XJW sites. I use to think that all you guys were evil and influenced by the Devil. Encouraging ones to go ahead and celebrate holidays, viewing the JW religion as a "cult" were all foreign ideas to me. I was shocked to say the least.

Now that's its been over 5 years for me (being out of the JWs) I still put my JW "glasses" on every now & then and look at the posts from both sides. My viewpoints about so many things have changed so drastically from when I first started coming here. I am a totally different person now. I can confidently say I am able to think independently. I am open to everyone's ideas. I have no concrete convictions of what happens after death and other "unknowable" things. I view holidays and cultural celebrations as opportunities to be with family and a celebration of life which is a complete change from how I was programmed to think. I am so happy that I am able to see things from my own perspective rather than having to always second guess myself to see if my thinking is in line with the WTBS or "cult" as I now view the JW religion.

Does anyone ever read through the posts with their old JW "glasses" on and then re-read them with their newfound perspective?

• done4good
    done4good

I haven't been "out" as long as you have, but yes, the change is dramatic. I can almost laugh at how I used to think about many things as a dub. Independent thinking is a wonderful thing!

j

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

And in another 5 years you'll have progressed even further. Growth is a wonderful thing especially compared to the stagnation we all suffered in the cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit