The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments

by VM44 9 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

I had this book when I was a kid. They don't write books like this anymore, and it is a shame! It shows how to set up a home chemistry lab and do interesting and educational experiments.

I distinctly remember the drawing of the "20 mule team" in the chapter on Borax.

Anyone else remember this book from the 1960's?

--VM44

Free Download, 28 MegaBytes.

http://rapidshare.de/files/2567112/The_Golden_Book_of_Chemistry_Experiments.zip.html

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No - I still have a 1st edition Cotton and Wilkinson for Inorganic Chemistry though

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I had a mate who had a copy; I had the old Thomas Salter chemistry set(s), and borrowed that book when I could. It was great, and extremely informative. I finally understood valencies in High School chemistry from reading that book. Unfortunately it (and decent chemistry sets) were withdrawn as too many kids had accidents.

There's a bloke on Ebay selling an eBook version for a few dollars; must do that one day...

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Oh, and yes, I do remember the Borax mule team picture; Death Valley, IIRC.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

It was my first chemistry book (at age 10).....I no longer have a copy, but now have a few hundred (less enjoyable) texts in its place. I particularly remember this book because of all the wonderful experiments one could not do because the ingredients were not available.

Re 20 mule team borax, I worked for many years in a factory where we handled 40Kg sacks of 20 mule team borax - branded with the mule team logo.

• VM44
    VM44

You can download the book at the link I gave. It is the same file that people are selling over at eBay. --VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Did anyone download the book?

Just asking to find out if people are interested in download links for books like this one.

--VM44

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi VM44,

I'm downloading it right now. Ah, it finished!

That was one book I didn't see 'way back then when I was a home chemist.

I have some of the Porter Chemcraft manuals that I bought a few years ago on eBay.

I recall reading "The Romance of Chemistry" and "Chemical History of a Candle" and "Crucibles" back then.

It's good to meet other Chemistry Kids.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    It's good to meet other Chemistry Kids.

Notice there's no "girls" on this thread? LOL

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

How many "Chemisry Kids" went on to be chemists (NOT pharmacists or other imitations)?

I did have a B App Sc degree from 1977, but worked in industry and government work as a chemist, although often end up in management roles (not preferred).

Just curious...HAL9k

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit