Being SINGLE and premature death???

by kid-A 9 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

A new study from the US suggests higher rates of "premature deaths" among single people. Seems a little wonky to me. As a single,

I can honestly say I took better care of my health, simply because I was actively 'on the market' and hence far more concerned with my

appearance. I am also not sure I buy the whole "marriage increases the social support system", since I seem to recall having a ton more

friends when I was single!!! LOL. For the singles out there, do you buy this?

Singles face higher risk of premature death: study

Last Updated Wed, 09 Aug 2006 18:59:24 EDT
    Bachelors aged 19 to 44 are more than twice as likely to die than their married male peers, while single people generally face a higher risk of premature death, a U.S. study suggests.

Researchers from the University of California at Los Angeles reported their findings on Thursday in the British Medical Association's Journal of Epidemiology and Health.

They said that, after they factored out age and state of health, Americans who never married were 58 per cent more likely to have died during an eight-year period compared to those who were initially married and living with their spouses.

The team at the University of California at Los Angeles analyzed census and death certificate information for almost 67,000 adult Americans, focusing on the period from 1989 to 1997.

Of those sampled in 1989:

• Almost half were married.
    • Almost one in 10 were widowed.
    • Around 12 per cent were divorced.
    • About three per cent were separated.

Of the remainder, five per cent were living with a partner and one in five had never married.

By 1997, old age and poor health were the main causes of death, as the researchers expected. But they still found a higher risk for people who had never walked down the aisle than those who were married or had been divorced.

Singles generally healthier but more isolated

The team said risky behaviors could not explain the difference, given that the unmarried group showed healthier habits, such as exercising a little more and drinking slightly less alcohol than the married group.

The study's authors suggested that marriage gives a rough estimate of social connectedness.

The findings suggest that people who never marry may be socially isolated and lack support from children or other relatives.

"Our findings show that the never-married penalty is greatest for younger adults and that the relation is strongest for infectious disease — presumably deaths related to HIV infection," the team wrote.

The risk was larger for those in very good or excellent health and was greater among men than women, the study found.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Yeah, something's not right here... it seems they are leaving out a big segment of the population - those living with a significant other but not married. Only 5% of their sample was in that category, but I think it's a bigger part of the population than that.

• Mary
    Mary
    As a single, I can honestly say I took better care of my health, simply because I was actively 'on the market' and hence far more concerned with my appearance. I am also not sure I buy the whole "marriage increases the social support system", since I seem to recall having a ton more friends when I was single!!!

Hey sweets, I think the jest of the survey is that married men outlive single men usually because they say they enjoy the emotional support they get from being married. This is probably true amongst the older generation when they're "past the bloom of youth" and just like the comfort zone of having someone there..........the irony is that I remember a survey that suggested that while married men outlive single men, single women tend to outlive married women............Hmmmmm........now why could that be?

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Singles also tend to go out more, increasing the risk of traffic accidents. They frequent bars more leading to alcohol/tobacco related deaths perhaps.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Kid-A,
    I agree with you--the study must be bogus. After all, it comes from the U.S., a nation of people filled with "arrogant, jingoistic self-righteousness and delusional state of pompous self-importance." I wouldn't believe a single word written by people like that.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Hijacking threads again are we parakeet? Ah, are you gonna go run and tell your mommy on me? Grow up you suckball!

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Interesting study -- I've seen similar studies before though. I'm single, 28, and quite happy. Personally, I think the only reason people get married is to fill the "downtime" after work. I worked for a startup before coming back to grad school (75-85 hr weeks normal at both), so never had the experience of prolonged "downtime".

For the singles that do, yeah, I imagine it could be pretty lonely. And, they likely fill that void with alcohol or tobacco. Or other self-destructive behavior. Which the study didn't appear to control for.

-silent

• luna2
    luna2

Probably depends on the married folks having a decent marriage. I was definitely not happier or healthier when I was married.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Hijacking threads again are we parakeet? Ah, are you gonna go run and tell your mommy on me? Grow up you suckball!

Awww, the kid can dish it out but can't take it. poor baby,....;-)

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    Kid-A,

I agree with you--the study must be bogus. After all, it comes from the U.S., a nation of people filled with "arrogant, jingoistic self-righteousness and delusional state of pompous self-importance." I wouldn't believe a single word written by people like that.

Now that is a righteous burn!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit