National Day of Mourning in Australia

by ozziepost 1 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Prime Minister John Howard has announced a national day of mourning for Sunday, September 16 to remember those who have been killed in the terrorist attacks on the United States. All flags nationwide will be flown at half-mast as well as church memorial services.

In addition for the first time ever, he has invoked the provisions of the ANZUS treaty whereby an attack on one member state is treated as an attack on all members. Thus Australian support is promised to be strong.

Ozzie (of the freedom lovers class)

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

Thanks for the post, Oz. I know that in my office we have all done little except stay glued to telly for news reports. This event will provide JW's with tailor made 'talking points' [former service overseer talking ;-)]. The JW's employed on my staff have not uttered a word about the nationalism sweeping our office. I purchased and had displayed a flag on our front door. Not a peep. This country is mad now, madder than at any other time since WWII. The support and sympathy shown by our allies will not be forgotten. It is so interesting to view this whole awful tragedy through 'eyes with the scales fallen off.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit