Jehovah's Witnesses are not a CULT ...

by Fatfreek 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unshackled
    unshackled

Call it whatever you want, fact is the JWs are a mind controlled group. Just like the Mormons and to a higher degree Scientologists.

• undercover
    undercover

Talk about a blast from the past... but still a good thread

JWs are a cult but outside of talking with ex-JWs, I rarely use the word to describe them. In my circle of acquaintances, both JW and non, when the word "cult" is used, most people think of Jim Jones and the People's Temple or David Koresh and the Branch Davidians or some other suicide cult. Mormons, JWs and even Scientologists don't readily come to mind.

So to use the word around these people only confuses them and actually makes them defend groups like the JWs and Mormons as "not like the People's Temple or Branch Davidians". You end up trying to educate the ignorant on the definition of the word instead of discussing the merits of the actual group.

• Twitch
    Twitch

When you're programmed to think and act in an "acceptable" way to the group with the threat of judgement, expulsion and shunning if conformity is not maintained, what would you call it?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Some cults are harmless. Others are very dangerous, even lethal.

Here is one example of how the Watchtower organization has been directly responsible for the deaths of innocent children.

They were honest enough to brag about it on the cover of an Awake magazine. The kids in that photo are DEAD because of the medical quackery of the Watchtower.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl
    Steve Hassan is a Jew and clearly does not define all religions by his definition of "Cult"

What does being Jewish have to do with the way a person defines the word cult?

By the definition provided above, some Jewish groups would be considered cults while quite a few Christian groups and most eastern religions would not be considered cults.

I don't understand your statement here.

• undercover
    undercover
    Here is one example of how the Watchtower organization has been directly responsible for the deaths of innocent children.

Good call.

A lot of people look at JWs and even if they think they're 'cultish', they may reason that they're benign. LWT has just shown that the WT cult is not always so benign. It may not happen to most JWs, but the possibility exists that you may be asked to face death to prove your loyalty.

What's the difference in drinking laced Kool-Aid or refusing a medical procedure that can save your live? Dead is dead.

What's the difference in offering your child up as a burnt offering to Ba'al or allowing him/her to die when a blood transfusion could save them? Dead is dead.

And again, as LWT said, the WTS actually brags about the child sacrifices in their midst and about the suicides of their members. Does anyone really praise the People's Temple people for holding steadfast and drinking the Kool-Aid? Why should anyone praise JWs when they choose death to prove their loyalty?

• Twitch
    Twitch
    What does being Jewish have to do with the way a person defines the word cult?

Nice catch,..

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Yes they are!

I think this forum proves it. Look how hard it is to get out and the stories of all lives? If it's NOT then nothing is?

FS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Concerned JW: In your opinion, why does the WT forbid its members from having close association with former members?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I know in my bones, CUILT is the answer. Not cult, but CULT. I wish an academic would term a less perjorative word, though. Screaming cult is akin to mud slinging. Objective definitions go on for too long for quick use.

I thought they were a cult when I first came here. Their doctrines bothered me. Now, after several months, I see the CULT process is the most salient feature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit