Jehovah's Witnesses are not a CULT ...

by Fatfreek 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I didn't want out of JW's because they were a cult.

Same, here. I left when I discovered that their theology was a steaming pile. Further, they lied about their history and shortcomings.

Only after I exited did I learn from Hassan why seven millions people believe things which aren't true.

Once you understand how the Thought Reform works, you understand why the Society can radically change their theology without upsetting 95% of their members. My former self included, most JW are robots, on autopilot, who obey the Faithful and Discreet Slave and never question anything.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    When I became of the anointed......

It's clear your religious views have changed. What's your view of this JW 'anointing' experience now?

Think About It

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The World English Dictionary defines cult as follows

1.aspecific system of religious worship, espwithreferenceto its ritesanddeity
    2.asectdevotedtosuchasystem
    3.a quasi-religiousorganizationusingdeviouspsychological techniques to gain and controladherents

Recognizing devious/disfunctional/dangerous cults of Christianity is extremely important for Christians since Jesus himself warns us to beware of false prophets and false teachers.

Dr. Arthur Deikman, a psychiatrist and cult-expert in northern California, has identified...four basic behaviors found in extreme form in [destructive] cults: compliance with the group, dependence on leadership, devaluing the outsider, and avoiding dissent.

Timothy Conway, provides a lengthy list of warning signs of dysfunctional cults to watch for. Some of these include:

a. Legalistic obsession with myriad rules.

b. Excessive demands on the time and energy of the group members.

c. Trapping or holding onto members. People should be able to leave the group at any time for any reason without fear of damnation, reprisal, scorn etc.

d. Theological thought control.

e. Cultivation of childish dependency upon authoritarian leaders who require absolute, exclusive devotion.

f. Heavily polarized “us-them,” adversarial thinking,...(“they” are “bad” and “we” are “good”).

g. Targeting or isolating of anyone inside or outside the group as a source of evil or contamination...

h. Delusions of grandeur by the leader or group.

i. Orwellian system of informers who convey information to leaders about persons behind their back.

j. Ganging up on individual members to criticize or humiliate or coerce them; “working on them” to violate their own sense of conscience or autonomy.

k. Brainwashing or mind-control techniques or high-pressure group dynamics coercing members to conform to a worldview, agenda, or code of conduct.

i. Frequent testing of members for loyalty, commitment, or obedience.

j. Preventing contact with outsiders, ex-members, and even certain fellow members of the dysfunctional cult.

k. Breaking up couples and families to gain power over individuals and prevent coalitions that could more effectively criticize unsound, corrupt leadership.

l. Blind obedience to harmful or unwise directives from on high.

m. Suppression of dissent, doubt, critical thinking, sincere questions, discussion or independent judgment.

n. Intellectual parochialism or isolation from other worldviews; censorship or control of what people read

o. Enforcement of conformity in apparel and external behavior.

Many of these warning signs apply to Jehovah's Witnesses.

Vander

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Vander, looks to me like ALL those points apply to the WT.

OMG the whole shebang is a horribly ridiculous bunch of crap in a big slick theatrical production.

We were just talking today about people in that cult who think they can keep their kids out of school and homeschool them while they ride around "pioneering" all day. They have the kids doing correspondence school study in the back seat. These brilliant individuals then try to get JW's with established businesses to hire them after they have grown up with no education or marketable skills, no certification in any professional field.

OH how they looked down their noses at people who actually kept their kids on a regular school schedule and joined the PTA and went to the school on Thursday PTA nights, how spiritually weak those families were who were concerned and determined to get their kids educated. Why, those terrible weak spiritually deficient bad people might's as well just not even bother trying to be in our beautiful organization! They don't REAllY want to serve God like WE do. Let's ignore them at the meetings, give them dirty looks and then look away, shake our heads at them so they will feel bad - then when they approach us and ask if they've given offense in some way, we'll smile pityingly and condescendingly tell them Why NO, why on EARTH would you have an idea like that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit