Fundraisers, Family, and Other Priorities

by atypical 3 Replies latest jw friends

• atypical
    atypical

I'm sitting here alone today while my wife, my family, and the majority of the people I have grown up around are at the district convention. My absence is considered a strong statement about where my loyalties lie.

In the last few months I have had a good friend take his life. I have pushed for honest talk with those around me regarding life, death, and the effects of our choices. I want to know if anyone is willing to admit the part that religion may have played in my friend's tragedy.

I don't think it takes a great mind to understand that shunning a person, cutting him off from his family and friends, can deeply damage, maybe even destroy him. But those who care more about their status in their religion, including my family, cannot manage an honest discussion on these things.

They can, however, find the time to condemn me for daring to ask questions. They see my questions as nothing more than an attempt to break their faith. They also see my absence this weekend as hurtful and divisive.

How do you fight against a mentality that cares more about membership in a religious club than life and death? I see families who can't even find the time to share a meal and a hug with their children moving mountains to make sure they don't miss even one hour of this three day, thinly disguised fund-raiser.

My hats off to all of you who have been dealing with loved ones who are on the inside. I don't know if any other part of this whole deal is as bad as knowing that someone you love thinks you deserve to be killed by God.

• serendipity
    serendipity

((( atypical ))) All the things we have to put up with.

Members of my JW family like to put on a show of their faith, get all wrapped up in "Theocratic Activities" and RBC stuff while leaving one of the relatives, a widow, though a 'weak' JW, with hurricane damage to her home 10 MONTHS after the hurricane. It's ridiculous.

It's dangerous for JWs to be honest. They justify their actions by claiming to be loyal to the Bible as interpreted by the FDS (reminds me of Nazi excuses - "we were just obeying orders".) But deep down, I know many of them feel guilty and that's why they battle depression, anxiety, etc.

• atypical
    atypical

I think you are right, Serendipity. A witness, if involved in a Watchtower sponsored activity, could make an excuse for neglecting almost anything in the world.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

((((atypical))))

Sorry you are experiencing this kind of treatment, I know it really sucks! In reading what you wrote it really helped me get a perspective of just how selfish the JW's are. It seems to me they are more concerned with their own salvation that that of others.

This past weekend my husband and I had the opportunity to work with a foundation raising funds for cancer research and the unselfish attitude of those who participated was astounding and in stark contrast to what we experienced in the B'org and what you've been experiencing.

What would Jesus do? Well buddy all I can say is hang in there and hold on for the ride.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit