I AM SEARCHING FOR A BOOK--HELP!!

by orangefatcat 6 Replies latest jw friends

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Recently I have been doing alot of research on scriptures.

The book I am seeking Is called the JEROME COMMENTARY of the Scriptures, it is both a reference of text and scholars that have come together to copy the meaning for serious bible students and theologians are assisted greatly by this book. I know that new it costs quite alot, but if someone has one and not asking much I would be most grateful.

Or perhaps someone could suggest where I could find a used copy elsewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Love Orangefatcat.

• VM44
    VM44

Is this the book you are looking for?

The New Jerome Biblical Commentary (Hardcover)

It is availble at Amazon for $47.25

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0136149340/102-7927815-2107348

--VM44

• blondie
  • VM44
    VM44

Here is the book info at the page Blondie found. I think someone was being funny when pricing the book.

--VM44

Jerome Biblical Commentary

Raymond E, etc. Brown (Editor)

Bookseller:

www.anybookworld.com

(Lincoln, LIN, United Kingdom)

Description: Hardcover,ex-library, with usual stamps and markings, in good all round condition. Ships within 24 hours, email us with any questions.1564pp., 2300grams, ISBN:0225488124. Bookseller Inventory # 322102

Publisher: G Chapman; 1969

Publication Date: 1969

Binding: Hardcover

Book Price:

US$ 6.66

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Yes yes, that is the book I am searching for.

Amazon is an American site so it would be almost doubled Canadain.

Thanks for your help.

Orangefatcat

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I have a copy and I think it's great. I use it all the time.

• Sadie Masokissdick
    Sadie Masokissdick

Dear Orange Cat:

It just so happens that I have a copy of the very book that you are looking for; it's on the shelf of one of my bookcases in my office. Unfortunately, I live in Taiwan, which is quite far from Canada.

I have the combined two-volume edition, first published in 1968. The Library of Congress number is 68-9140. My edition was published by Prentice Hall. The editors are Raymond E. Brown; Joseph A. Fitzmeyer and Roland E. Murphy. The editors are all of the Jesuit or Carmelite Order.

Of course, you are aware that The Jerome Biblical Commentary is a Roman Catholic research volume. It bears both the nihil obstat and the Imprimatur. The Foreword was written by Augustin Cardinal Bea.

I bought the copy that I own, for ten U.S. dollars, about twenty years ago in used book store. It is a valuable research tool, so I did not mind the trouble of bringing it with me to Taiwan [I'm originally from the U.S.]. In any case, in addition to Amazon, I would recommend that you browse in used/antiquarian book stores. You perhaps may also try Christian or Roman Catholic book stores. A local Roman Catholic Church, or convent, or seminary in your neighborhood is also likely to have a copy on hand. This is a classic Roman Catholic research tome, so it should not be that hard to find a copy. I really do not know how much more difficult it would be for you to find a copy that you could purchase for yourself. I have the first [1968] edition; I trully do not know if there were later editions published after 1968. However, it would not surprise me to learn that there were subsequent editions. I imagine that there was a lot of research done during the intervening 40 years between 1968 and now.

Beyond giving you this information, there is not much more help that I can give you. If you need specific material on a specific topic, perhaps I could consult my copy and pass the findings on to you. To repeat, I think that your best bet would be to browse through used or antiquarian bookstores, or else religious bookstores. Good luck on your search. Best regards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit