Repetative prayer

by keo15929 8 Replies latest jw friends

• keo15929
    keo15929

I hate to do this but I've got to say something about a certain elder that used to get me so annoyed when he prayed. It's like he had his prayer prepared on a script with a few fill in the blanks here and there. It's probably been over a year since I've heard him pray but I know his prayer by heart. "All wise and everlasting God Jehovah we come before you now in ya son Jesus name to thank you for the many things you provide. We thank you for our life, health and strength and everything you do for us to keep us going day in and day out. And now as we prepare to get into our (fill in the blank) we ask that your holy spirit be with us. These and other blessings we ask in ya son Jesus name. Amen"

I'm telling you this what he says almost verbatim EVERY single time. I mean he does add some things in their from time to time but he uses a couple of expressions over and over and over and over and over and over.............................................................................................................................................

If he ever feels he needs to make his prayer long you will here the expression "day in and day out" about 300 times.

Here's a converstation I'd like to have with him.

Elder: "Hey, how ya doin my brutha?"

Me: "I'm all right. I just keep going day in and day out."

Elder: "Been keepin up with ya Bible reading?"

Me: "Yeah I do it day in and day out."

Elder: How bout goin on a call with me this weekend?

Me: "Well, I've been pretty busy day in and day out lately. My job is demanding a lot of my time day in and day out. But I keep mustering up the strength to keep going day in and day out. But I'll be working day in and day out this weekend but maybe next weekend we can go on calls day in and day out.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Great Post

I always hated when a prayer was offered that turned into a 20 min. sermon for the cong.

• blondie
    blondie

I hated it when the last prayer of the convention was a 15 minute review of the program as if God had not heard it.

Blondie

• Highlander
    Highlander

Sounds like my grandpa's prayer. Same thing every time.

• Undecided
    Undecided

God's memory must be bad, we have to pray for the things he would do anyway if he cared at all for his loyal servants, over and over, just hoping he might be willing to listen and do some of it. Of course we have to be careful it isn't something we want but just what is part of his will.

Ken P.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It's kinda like a verbal version of the prayer wheel, isn't it?

Then again, how do you expect the poor man to carry on a one-sided conversation with his imaginary Best Friend?

• blondie
    blondie

I will say that in some congregations, the person selected to give the prayer found out about 30 seconds before they had to give it. That didn't give them much time to "reflect" on what they were to say. But then other congregations put on the written assignment list for the school/TMS.

There are many unwritten rules about what you can and can't say in a prayer which intimidates some brothers too.

Blondie

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

This is pretty bad, but there were a couple of brothers that would give the prayer regularly in our hall, and their voices just grated on my nerves. I can think of two in particular that were so pompous that I just kept thinking "you are such an a**hole!" the whole time they were praying!

• blondie
    blondie

Swamboozled, when certain "brothers" were to given a prayer, I would go back to the restroom and flush the toilet at an opportune moment. The flush was especially loud.

Bad Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit