A Practical Idea........

by closer2fine 5 Replies latest jw friends

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

I received this as an email:

THE GREAT AMERICAN STOCK REVIVAL
    America's blood banks are overflowing with people who want to help America in this time of crisis. So many are volunteering to donate blood that some donors are being turned away. But there is a way that you can make a difference. You can fight terrorism, help America get back on its feet and memorialize those who died:

BUY STOCK WHEN THE STOCK MARKET REOPENS AND HOLD IT.

If everyone bought just one hundred shares we could make America's stock market soar. Many of those who died in the World Trade Center made their living financing the American dream. They created and traded stock in American companies. If you buy stock when the markets reopen you will show the terrorists that their attack failed to destroy America, you will help our economy spring back to life, and you will honor the profession of many who died.

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People - bumpersticker

• waiting
    waiting

Now that IS a practical idea.

1. Show that we're not mentally beaten.
    2. Solidarity in movement.
    3. Help the economy.
    4. Help ourselves.
    5. Show resistence in action.

But don't forget the Red Cross, United Way, Salvation Army, Firemen's Fund - all listed on the MSN home page.

This would be an excellent topic to e-mail our entire lists - bcc, of course.

waiting

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Not a very good idea at all. Our economy is in no place for the stock market to be "soaring". Now, a bit of restraint, a bit of pride, not to mention forethought, could well keep the market from plummeting, something which is not warranted either. We'll just have to see, if it starts rolling downhill, people will jump.

• waiting
    waiting

Well, in reality, I believe that many, many, investors are going to stay away - for a while. We were in a shaky economy before this disaster - I doubt if we'll see a "soar" for a long time.

Personally, I invest anyway in a small way - I had planned on calling my stock broker Monday morning for his recommendations. Wrote off all I can this year in our busines retirement fund - was looking for the oddball investment. Probably a good time to look, eh?

I think it's a pretty good idea - and doubt that a bunch of small investors could really cause a Boom Economy at this point, let alone "soaring."

We couldn't do it before - I don't see it coming now. I think it's a hell of a lot more a philosophy - don't give in and invest in the long term. But I would look carefully first and with professional counsel.

waiting

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

BTTT

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People - bumpersticker

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Closer,

I work for an investment firm, and I can tell you that the majority of our clients have already informed us that they will be purchasing stock Monday. Only one asked about selling out, and the broker was able to persuade him otherwise. We're not talking about people investing thousands at a time, but just the fact that they will be buying instead of selling will be helpful.

Yes the market was already in a downward swing, had been for awhile. It happens, regularly. World events definitely effect the market, many times the long term effect is actually a rebound. We will see. I personally won't be selling anything on Monday.

think41self

"Not believing is not the same as not knowing."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit