Paranoia vs. the Governing Body

by parakeet 9 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

In my more paranoiac moments, I wonder if the gb creates its myriad nitpicking rules in order to deliberately create a high turnover of JWs.
    The advantage to doing this would be to ease the way for "new light" doctrine. The 1914 generation has passed; the generation after that is passing, and their memories are passing with them. New JWs are not encouraged to look into the WTS's early literature, and they are forbidden to talk to exJWs, who could enlighten them about the WTS's ever-changing "truth du jour."
    I've read many accounts on this board about new JWs who either pooh-pooh earlier WT doctrines or have simply never heard of them. Perhaps the gb is intentionally attempting to "grandfather" in new doctrine about the 1914 generation change and other "corrections" by weeding out disillusioned JWs and bringing in new people with shiny new memory slates that can be filled with shiny new doctrine.
    Do you think the gb believes its credibility is worth more than the constant loss of JWs fed up with the rules and lies? Is the gb capable of such callous duplicity?
    Or maybe it's just that I'm up late, and my cold medication has kicked in.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Or maybe it's just that I'm up late, and my cold medication has kicked in.

That sounds like some pretty good cold medicine.

Personally, I don't think they plan on changing the 1914 doctrine. I don't think there is any reason for them to. Besides, the new "What Does the Bible Really Teach" book highlights the 1914 doctrine. I don't think they would have included that into a new study book if they were planning on changing it in the near future.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories. As a life time civil servant, I am not at all surprised by the level of idiocy possible by committee. I'd say the GB is riding blind.

Blind leading the blind.

• Borgia
    Borgia

I saw a documentary about tankman the other day. What was of interest is that the current students of Bejing don´t have a clou who he is. They don´t even know it happened. They thought of the picture of the man standing in front of the tanks being an artfuly contrifed picture.

Compare that to the enourmous effort that takes a regular curious JW to find out about past JW history. .............keeps them occupied, no? So, parakeet, to a certain degree I think you have a point there.

Cheers

Borgia

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

I'm thinking along the lines of them being blind.

I don't think they actually realise they are wrong. They probably just put aside thier obvious manipulation, and tell themselves that it's for the good of the many.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Interesting theory but seems a stretch.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

they are not gonna change the 1914 doctrine unless things don't go their way in the next 35 years.

the GB is just a bunch of men living in dreamland, they have no clue what it takes to run a life in the real world

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Why paranoia vs the GB? I think the GB is full of paranoia.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I also think it is stretching it too much, they would rather have more members to slave away for their manmade business. It's just that they can't keep all their members and surpass a certain limit, six or seven million members seems to be about the best they can do as so many leave each year.

They have already changed the 1914 doctrine in that the generation can now be infinitely long so the end is not necessarily near it could be 200 or 300 years long.

• parakeet
    parakeet

GermanXJW:
    ***Why paranoia vs the GB? I think the GB is full of paranoia.***
    I was referring to my paranoia, which now in the light of day seems a bit much even to me. A relatively stable number of braindead JWs selling mags probably would be more financially profitable to the WTS than the excess effort needed to keep bringing in new converts to replace the escapees.
    I guess I'd better switch to Dayquil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit