A Voice of Sanity and Reason

by Commie Chris 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Commie Chris
    Commie Chris

Like most people, I watched the events of Sept. 11 with horror and sadness. I have also been horrified, but, sadly, not surprised, by the rush to judgment (no need for a trial or any impartial weighing of evidence) and the growing "nuke the Arabs" hysteria of many, but thankfully not all, Americans. The following is an e-mail from Noam Chomsky, IMO one of the great American thinkers of the 20th century. As usual, he is a voice of reason and sanity:

>Just got your message. Quick reaction.

Today's attacks were major atrocities. In terms of number of victims they do not reach the level of many others, for example, Clinton's bombing of the Sudan with no credible pretext, destroying half its pharmaceutical supplies and probably killing tens of thousands of people (no one knows, because the US blocked an inquiry at the UN and no one cares to pursue it). Not to speak of much worse cases, which easily come to mind. But that this was a horrendous crime is not in doubt. The primary victims, as usual, were working people: janitors, secretaries, firemen, etc. It is likely to prove to be a crushing blow to Palestinians and other poor and oppressed people. It is also likely to lead to harsh security controls, with many possible ramifications for undermining civil liberties and internal freedom.

The events reveal, dramatically, the foolishness of ideas about "missile defense." As has been obvious all along, and pointed out repeatedly by strategic analysts, if anyone wants to cause immense damage in the US, including weapons of mass destruction, they are highly unlikely to launch a missile attack, thus guaranteeing their immediate destruction. There are innumerable easier ways that are basically unstoppable. But today's events will, nonetheless, be used to increase the pressure to develop these systems and put them into place. "Defense" is a thin cover for plans for militarization of space, and with good PR, even the flimsiest arguments will carry some weight among a frightened public. In short, the crime is a gift to the hard jingoist right, those who hope to use force to control their domains. That is even putting aside the likely US actions, and what they will trigger -- possibly more attacks like this one, or worse. The prospects ahead are even more ominous than they appeared to be before the latest atrocities.

>Noam

• waiting
    waiting

Hey CommieChris,

Thanks for "the other side." We, on this board, really can't do anything except voice our opinions - and there's lots of them obviously.

But we can physically help with the relief efforts - which will be long and expensive. That should give us time to stop and think, speculate, and try to reason.

Thanks for the post.

Nightmare

You fool. You so obviously didn't even read his post. Either that, or you did - and are so stupid that it just swooshed over your head.

Others are calling you a troll. I'm voting that way too. Just a trouble maker.

waiting

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

Nightmare,

Muslims have a priori adherence to their belief system and their own voracity, we have also have our own. Who's right? Why are we right? Why are they wrong? What really is right or wrong? Wrong in comparison to what?

I only have 2 things to say to you:

1. No one has the right to harm or kill others because of religious or political beliefs. PERIOD.

2. You are a total MORON (Illiterate too).

Have a nice day.

FP

"The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine

TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit