Gunshy, do you know your Bible?

by AuldSoul 1 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Gunshy,

According to the book "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" (chapter 18), Jehovah's Witnesses believe there are specific steps which must be fulfilled prior to Christian baptism. Obviously, any requirements set forth in a book with such a title will be expected to have Scriptural support.

Apart from the requirement of repentance and conversion, the book does not supply the Scriptures that demonstrate these steps are prerequisites leading to Christian baptism. Can you supply the Scriptures that demonstrate that the following are requirements that must be met BEFORE Christian baptism:

(1) A prolonged period of study spanning months;

(2) Regular meeting attendance (not mentioned in Chapter 18, but this is a JW requirement for qualifying as an "unbaptized publisher");

(3) Qualifying as an "unbaptized publisher" and beginning to preach monthly; submitting monthly "Field Service Reports" as proof of regularity in preaching for as many months as the local body of elders deems appropriate;

(4) Specific dedication in prayer;

(5) Private demonstration of Bible knowledge to various older men in the congregation.

Lastly, I would also appreciate Scriptural indication that baptism is in symbol of dedication, as opposed to being in symbol of repentance.

Hebrews 6:1-3
    For this reason, now that we have left the primary doctrine about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying a foundation again, namely, repentance from dead works, and faith toward God, the teaching on baptisms and the laying on of the hands, the resurrection of the dead and everlasting judgment. And this we will do, if God indeed permits.

If you know your Bible and if the JW doctrine on pre-baptismal requirements is Scriptural, then you are competent to explain this foundational doctrine.

If you do not know where to find Scriptural support for these requirements, you will either ignore this thread due to shame at your own ignorance of the Bible or you will candidly and honestly admit your ignorance.

For your consideration prior to answering: Acts 2:37-42; 10:34-48; 16:14, 15, 30-34; 19:1-7; 22:12-16; 1 Peter 3:16-22

Matthew 13:11-15
    In reply he said: "To YOU it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the kingdom of the heavens, but to those people it is not granted. For whoever has, more will be given him and he will be made to abound; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. This is why I speak to them by the use of illustrations, because, looking, they look in vain, and hearing, they hear in vain, neither do they get the sense of it; and toward them the prophecy of Isaiah is having fulfillment, which says, 'By hearing, YOU will hear but by no means get the sense of it; and, looking, YOU will look but by no means see. For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive, and with their ears they have heard without response, and they have shut their eyes; that they might never see with their eyes and hear with their ears and get the sense of it with their hearts and turn back, and I heal them.'"

I hope you will either stop spreading the lie that their doctrine on "steps leading to Christian baptism" is sound and Bible based, or prove that it is Bible based. But I strongly suspect you will simply keep going through the motions of ritual worship, reading the Bible daily and not getting the sense of it, being more receptive to the words of men than to the Bible, shutting your eyes to anything that is contrary to the traditions of men you have adopted. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Brandon

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

All of Gunshy's posts have been on one thread. I have a feeling he won't be coming back, but let's hope i'm wrong.
    Great points AudSoul, so many things that are required yet no actual scriptural basis for them. We should get a mater list of this kind of stuff going. Things required by the WTS just because they are the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit