Let's Impeach The President!! Mr Young on form again.

by lowden 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• lowden
    lowden

He may now be a bit of an 'old croc' but Neil Young has really pulled a gem out of the bag with his latest album 'Living With War'! I've been a fan for over 25 years now and this is a milestone album, probably the best since Freedom or Ragged Glory IMO. He's very often at his best when ripping into someone or something, a brilliant writer when it comes to putting things simply and in a nutshell.

Stand-out track has got to be 'Let's Impeach The President'. Very few thinking people could like Bush and Neil Young speaks for us all in this rip-roaring, scathing denunciation of a bad, bad leader. Nixon has nothing on Bush, which reminds me of Ohio, possibly the greatest song he ever wrote. I hope Mr Young 'keeps on rocking' for a long time yet if he's going to release material like this and i hope America and the world can soon be free from Mr Bush. Listen to the song.

Peace

Lowden

• Caedes
    Caedes

I do own Harvest but I've never been sure if his subsequent work was as good. I'll try the albums you've suggested.

• undercover
    undercover

I got a copy of "Living with War" before it was released and while I was impressed with Young's call to revolution, I was disappointed in the music itself.

This is not some of his best work. Even lyrically it lacks the style and prose of his earlier anti-war songs.

But, having said all that, I think it's an important album. Here is an artist, who formerly supported Bush by the way, who wants to help jump start a new anti-war campaign. The words are pointed and purposeful...no double meanings or play on words here. "Let's Impeach the President" leaves no doubt about what he's thinking.

This album will not stand the test of time, like some of his earlier work, including his songs about Kent State and Richard Nixon, but for right here and now it's important in that maybe it can help others pick up the torch and carry it as more people join in speaking out.

It can be argued that maybe it's not a revolution that Young wants so much as just trying to get people, young people especially, to pay attention to what's going on around them. Take an interest in what the government is doing, what authority is telling you. It's an in-your-face attack that get's peoples attention and in today's culture that's what it takes to get kids to listen.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***i hope America and the world can soon be free from Mr Bush.***
    Two more years, lowden. Good presidents or bad, their terms are limited by the Constitution.

• lowden
    lowden

Undrercover

I agree with the sentiments of your post. He's not really going anywhere new musically, i heard it was a rushed album. But the 'bite' of the old dog is just as strong and that's what i like. Whether it stands the test of time is something we'll have to wait to see. The anti-war thing has been reverberating in America for a while now, the more commonly known stuff coming from Greenday's last noteworthy offering, so Young isn't going anywhere new in that way either. I do think it's brilliant though that he can still turn out good stuff when artists of a similar age struggle miserably.

Peace

Lowden

• undercover
    undercover
    ...the 'bite' of the old dog is just as strong and that's what i like. Whether it stands the test of time is something we'll have to wait to see ... I do think it's brilliant though that he can still turn out good stuff when artists of a similar age struggle miserably.

I agree...Young still has the creative spark. And one thing I've always liked about him is that he doesn't let the record label or anyone else tell him what to write or sing. He does what he wants when he wants. He can jump from folk to rock to grunge to country and be equally good in all of them. Sometimes it sells, sometimes it doesn't. Some albums are great, some are not so great.

While this album isn't his best...it does show that he still has the fire and that he ain't backing down from nobody. For that alone, you have to respect him, whether you like this selection of songs or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit