Religion On The Line...

by titch 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• titch
    titch

Growing up, and residing in the Southern California area, I would---and still do---listen to a local talk-radio AM station, that being KABC. If you're familiar with that station, you might remember that in the 1970s and 1980s, KABC would have a show on Sunday evening, called "Religion On The Line." Over the years, there were several hosts who would be a host for the program. Usually, they would have a regular panel on the show: A Catholic priest, a Jewish rabbi at times, and another person from another religious organization. And, sometimes, they would even have a Witness from a local congregation as a guest---but not that often.

So, did any of you listen to that show? What is your impression of that show? I have an incident to relate, regarding the show. One Sunday evening, back in the mid-1980s, I was returning home from an event---a theater event---in the L.A. area. And, I was taking home with me, a couple of fairly recently-converted Witnesses. So, since it was Sunday evening, I tuned in to KABC, to listen to "Religion On The Line." After a few minutes of listening to the show, it apparently became evident that doing that was the wrong thing to do. (In their mind) Those two newly-minted Witnesses objected to the show, saying that we shouldn't be listening to that. You'd think that I had invited Charles Manson into my car. Those religionists on the panel were nothing more than agents of Satan's world of "false religion", and we should NOT be listening to "Religion On The Line." Did any of you have that kind of experience? Best Regards, all.

Titch

• DNCall
    DNCall
    I remember the show. My father used to call in occasionally. Sometimes, a friend of our family's would be called on to represent Jehovah's Witnesses on the show. He was very knowledgeable and could hold his own with the other clergymen on the panel. You could tell that the host (I think her first name was Carol) was impressed with him. He was a radiologist, professed to be anointed and served as the Presiding Overseer when it was called that. Your bringing up that show made me think of how today you couldn't find anyone to discuss religion on behalf of the Witnesses that effectively. Today's Witness can't converse on the level of that show's discussions. Thanks for the memory. BTW, the brother's name was Steve Leograndis.
  • Magnum
    Magnum
    it apparently became evident that doing that was the wrong thing to do. (In their mind) Those two newly-minted Witnesses objected to the show, saying that we shouldn't be listening to that. You'd think that I had invited Charles Manson into my car. Those religionists on the panel were nothing more than agents of Satan's world of "false religion", and we should NOT be listening to "Religion On The Line." Did any of you have that kind of experience?

Not with radio or TV shows, but with books. I actually had to hide some of them so JWs wouldn't see them.

DNCall: Your bringing up that show made me think of how today you couldn't find anyone to discuss religion on behalf of the Witnesses that effectively. Today's Witness can't converse on the level of that show's discussions.

Yes, the current crop of JWs is not made of the same stuff as the crop a few decades ago, and it seems that the situation is rapidly going downhill. Most JWs now can only point to JWdotOrg. They're clueless as to their own doctrines and the history of their organization. They're lacking in knowledge, intellect, reasoning skills, etc.

• titch
    titch

To DNCall: Thanks for mentioning the name of "Carol". Come to think of it, I think that you might be remembering Carol Hemingway, who was a long-time host on KABC. I wonder where she is now. I enjoyed her show that she had, including hosting Religion On The Line. I also remember that back about 1975 or 1976---I don't remember what year---they had an actress who had became a Witness---on the show. That was Teresa Graves (Remember the television show, "Get Christy Love"?) And, those are interesting observations, Magnum. Best Regards...

Titch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit