VERY IMPORTANT BBQ QUESTION

by vitty 9 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

To all you experts (men of course) out there, I need a dispute solving

We have a gas BBQ fitted with a lid, now I think the food should be cooked with the lid open cos I think with it shut , it just steams the food

My hubby insists it should be kept closed when cooking cos it loses the heat

Please help, if the majority here take my hubbys side I will concede and never say another word to him.

And just a side note my hubby cant cook to save his life and I have to check to see if the meat is cooked, on the other I have been cooking for 30 years and I know when my food is cooked.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When it comes to BBQ, always trust the man's instinct... even if he sucks at cooking in the kitchen. *** Grunt - Grunt - Grunt ***

He is correct. Keeping the lid on will increase the cooking temperature and you actually do want the steam in there because that helps prevent the meat from drying out so you end up with tender and juicy BBQ.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Lid on, yes it will "keep the heat on the meat" the steam that is created from cooking is not that much so its not like you are steaming your food, and the steam rises to the top anyway.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Agree, hood down. Although a real Texas BBQ cook would not be using gas. Charcoal only, and no lighter fluid. Use one of those chimney starters. Mesquite optional, I am a hickory charcoal man myself.

With apologies to Hank Hill and his cartoon guys at the propane supply.

• vitty
    vitty

Thanks, I will not of course be showing him this post............but I will never say another word !

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

And from a woman.... lid ON. Kevan does most of the grilling, on our little webber gas grill. Lid on. I'm more skilled with charcoal... again, lid on. There are some times when it's lid-off, but that is when you only want to sear the surface closest to the grill keeping the rest of the meat cool.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Open or closed is really not relevant. It's whether he has an open beer or not.

• Scully
    Scully

Lid closed. One burner off, with meat over this burner for "indirect heat". The other burner on low-to-medium heat. It takes longer to cook meat this way, but it prevents your nice steaks and roasts from getting the charcoal exterior.

Mr Scully didn't teach me that, btw. I learned it from The Food Network show "License to Grill".

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Lid closed. One burner off, with meat over this burner for "indirect heat". The other burner on low-to-medium heat. It takes longer to cook meat this way, but it prevents your nice steaks and roasts from getting the charcoal exterior.

Good tip!

To add to it, you should also place of pan of water under the grill and on the burner that is OFF. This will help produce moisture that will keep the meat tender and juicy.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Lid closed.One burner off, with meat over this burner for "indirect heat". The other burner on low-to-medium heat. It takes longer to cook meat this way, but it prevents your nice steaks and roasts from getting the charcoal exterior.

I do it that way too. Sometimes I get some mesquite chips that had been soaked in water, wrap them in foil, and put the package over the heated side of the BBQ.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit