Deliverance at Hand and 1975

by why144000 8 Replies latest jw friends

• why144000
    why144000

Just looking at the WT CD and typed in the name of this years convention - Deliverance at Hand and was amused that the only two times this phrase was used was in the awake of april 1975 and april 1976. It was used to promote (what else!) a new book chock full of 'light' (some new, some old). So, only 30 short years ago deliverance was at hand!

Deliverance

at Hand from World Distress

How will relief come for humankind? When can it be expected?

Read the answers in the new 384-page hardbound book Man’s Salvation out of World Distress at Hand! Only 50 cents, postpaid.

Please send Man’s Salvation out of World Distress at Hand! along with the gift booklet A Secure Future—How You Can Find It. I enclose 50c.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They aint gettin my 50 cents!

"I survived 75!" that's what my tee shirt would say.

W.Once

• Arthur
    Arthur

Why144000,

This is an interesting topic that you brought up. This is something that I have been thinking a lot about lately. To me, it looks like history might be repeating itself again.

All of the evidence surely pointed to 1975 as the end of this system. When the 1975 date started to be promoted, the U.S. was bogged down in Vietnam, there was all of the civil unrest in the U.S. (riots), the assasinations of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy, there was the Arab-Israeli war. Then, the early 1970s saw the terrorist attack at the Munich Olympics, Watergate, Nixon's resignation, the continuation of the Arab-Isreali conflict, and an attempted assasination of President Gerald Ford.

Surely, it looked at though holy spirit had directed the Faithful Slave to release that new book: Man's Salvation Out of World Distress At Hand. Who would have thought that this system of things would go on for at least another 30 years?

Just a casual reading of Matthew chapter 24 should make most Witnesses realize that turmoil in the world, and speculation by the Watchtower Society is irrelevant when compared to scripture:

"You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come" - Matthew 24:6

"So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." - Matthew 24:44

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

That this message has been recycled for decades can be seen in this: Rutherford's book Deliverance, published in 1926, opens a foreward from the editors that states: "Let every one who reads tell it to his neighbor. The day of deliverance is at hand!" (p. 5)

• VM44
  • heathen
    heathen

Yah but Arthur they were still trying to sell the GC that the generation would not pass away before they saw the end so to them it had to happen before they all die . Now they changed the generation dogma because they had no choice . How many active j-dubs are from the generation of 1914? I'm willing to bet a big goose egg on that one --- nill , zilch , nada .... Just another empty promise

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Whenever I see the word Deliverance in a sentence I always think of a guy held against his will getting screwed by hillbillies. There's probably an analogy there apart from the movie link.

Interesting find Why144000 about the language employed though. I really hope they play up this 'time of the end' BS like they did in '75, just to watch them fall flat on their face again.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Leolaia That this message has been recycled for decades can be seen in this: Rutherford's book Deliverance, published in 1926, opens a foreword from the editors that states: "Let every one who reads tell it to his neighbor. The day of deliverance is at hand!" (p. 5)

Dueling Banjos -- that's what I heard when I read this.

So, Rutherford's book was a prophetic foreshadowing...of the movie ?

Rabbit

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Whenever I see the word Deliverance in a sentence I always think of a guy held against his will getting screwed by hillbillies. There's probably an analogy there apart from the movie link.

Good point. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit