college questions.

by jaada 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jaada
    jaada

hello everyone, i was wondering it has been along time since i have been to the jw hall and when i was going they would give me a guilt trip about going to college and tell me that i shouldn't waste time on that and instead learn how to go door to door. i wasted 11 years not going to college because of them and i just went back 3 years ago. i still have 4 more years to go. but i know that the witnesses have seem to change their beliefs now and i was wondering if they changed this belief. however i have seen that the witnesses have doctors and lawyers too so they have to go to college to get there so how can they say this about others going to college? also what about their stance on blood and on the last days. they would tell me that this generation would not pass away and that the end would come, but i was so scared for my kids and my husband who didnt practice i thought jehovah is going to kill them. how awful! i still feel afraid sometimes because i dont know what to believe. i want to be doing the right thing when and if the end does come, and i hope my children and grandchildren are safe as well. and as for college sometimes i get discouraged and feel like maybe i am wasting my time in college and should just quit. ok sorry i just need to blurt this all out, i have so many questions and concerns. thanks all.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi jaada,

The blood policy changed in 2000 so that JWs can take blood fractions, but not whole blood, red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma and platelets.

They are still preaching that we're living in the last days, and "deliverance is at hand"

They've also started criticizing college again. However, the WTS won't give a dime to support the average JW. Each JW needs to use their God-given brains and make a prudent decision regarding their means of support, rather than giving their power away to an organization who really cares nothing about helping individuals materially.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    however i have seen that the witnesses have doctors and lawyers too so they have to go to college to get there so how can they say this about others going to college?

The JWs I personally know who have professional careers, have in most cases obtained their degree BEFORE becoming a Witness. Some were already in their last year of uni when Jehovah's agents came visiting.

On the other hand, JW's who are contemplating uni will often be persuaded to do otherwise. I was. Those who are already at uni, have to put up with the bias reporting of what goes on at uni, with dramas and talks that insinuate a lack of spirituality in those who choose the "wisdom" and "wealth" of this world. I do.

If you feel that college is not for you, by all means quit. But do it for the right reasons. Do not be a victim of other people's anti-intellectualism.

Welcome to JWD, jaada.

INQ

• La Capra
    La Capra

I too was given a lot of grief when I started college. But there was no way, I was going to "rely on Jehovah" to support me. I went straight to college from high school, and straight into a teaching career.

It was in between my first and second year of college that I realized why JWs don't want their members to go to college. We might figure out that the religion is a fraud. That was when I figured out it was a fraud, and I never went back.

I can't even fathom where I would be if I had followed their pressure and "learned how to go door-to-door." But, I recently had a glimpse of what could have been........

The boy I was dating my senior year of high school had gone off to college, at about the time he was getting interested in the JWs (because of me, I add regretfully). After his first quarter, he bailed out (I think he thought he couldn't handle it, but he claimed that he wanted to put the religion first-baaarrrfff).

Well, we broke up about the time I graduated, and I headed to college classes, while he worked at wages barely above minimum living standards in our community.

A few years later, after he had fully joined the religion, he married the mother of one of our classmates.

I just learned a few weeks ago that he and his (now senior citizen) wife had to go bankrupt last year. They still rent the same tiny house she was renting when we all were in high school, and there are still a few adolescents they have running around at home. The glimpse at what could have been my life, had I entrusted it to him, in that religion, was sobering (but I also feel vindicated that I did the right thing 20 years ago).

But on the upside, he apparently "reached out" and is an elder, as he is now the local "agent" for the congregation. Should anyone ever wish to sue my old congregation, he's the one designated to receive service...

I never considered it a mistake to go to school, or even to leave the religion. But if I hadn't, I probably would have ended up married to him and be bankrupt, instead of being almost wealthy, by California standards, with many fulfilling facets of my life.

Shoshana

• headmath
    headmath

excellent case history.

Ya I never learned nuthin in those watctower mags. The WTS claims that this is REAL knowlege to take in every WTS publication and study it. STUDY WHAT ???? a bunch of empty mind rotting garbage.

Me I quit the dubs almost 20 year ago. This gave me extra time to learn the finer arts of mathematics by staying away from the WTS . I laugh every time I drive past a kingdom hall as the dubs inside are REALLY being fed a BIG spiritual feast of barbecued bull shit. There poor brains are shrinking from neglect, their personalties are joined to the WTS borg machine.

Sometimes when I'm studying calculus I get the guilty feeling that I should be reading a watchtower . Maybe I'm still not fully de-programmed hehe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit