our vacation plans

by troubled mind 7 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Next month my husband and I are going to visit his JW mother and step- father in Florida . They are aware we are no longer attending meetings, but during recent visit here said nothing about it . Well I just received an email from stepdad (elder) he went on about how busy we will be sight seeing that week, and with meetings on mon,wed,and sunday. My question is this : Is it terribly rude of me to stay at their home , and refuse to attend their meetings ? I really am not the type of person to be mean BUT I have decided I no longer will ever do something I really don't want to do either . My plan is to not pack any KH attire , and to just do something alone with my husband on the meeting nights. If this is a problem for them we can always go to a hotel .

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

If you want to avoid confrontation and not upset them, but also retain your independence - do you have any other old friends in the area that you could hook up with? That way you could say what a shame you already made plans for those days or book a restaurant for one night and say you are celebrating a special anniversary -etc...

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi friend,

I think you should be honest about the situation. Just say, that since you are not attending meetings at home, you don't see a need to attend them while on vacation. And let them know you are looking forward to the visit with them and sightseeing but will make other plans for your entertainment while they are at the meetings and that their attending and leaving you at home will not upset you at all. While you will support their beliefs, you hope they will support your new beliefs, one of which is to not support something you no longer agree with. It is better to clear the air about this before you get to their home. Lilly

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

good suggetion, but we don't know anyone else down there in the summer months.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

HI LIL , Thanks that would be the adult thing to do now wouldn't it . I hate confrontation .I am an avoider .I really was hoping at this visit to be open with them, it sure would be a first .

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I once told them that my new religion prohibits me from entering the kingdom hall. They knew I was being a smartass but didn't press the issue.

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

troubled mind,

I visited my aunt/uncle/cousins, all life-long JWs, a couple of months ago. I wasn't there during any Hall time so I dodged that proverbial bullet, but it was just after Memorial. They spent a considerable amount of time telling me how great the memorial was, more importantly they went on ad nauseum about all the non-JWs that came with their respective JW spouses/family members and how awesome it would be if only a couple of those actually got baptized and served the lord and savior Jesus Christ.

It was as if my family had won a lotto ticket they were so giddy... which for them the analogy is apropos. They felt that the non-JWs had received a ticket, golden no less, no not to Willy Wonka’s, but to everlasting life, heaven-on-earth, et cetera. Remember, if you don’t get right, you’re gonna get left.

My long-winded point is that they, I feel, will likely be crushed if you don’t attend. It’s likely they’ve told all their bro/sis that you’re coming. They live for getting people to the Hall, that is their purpose, their Qwan if you will. For a bonus, if you’re cordial and participate in the singing, discussion, give answers they will look great in front of their homies, which will make it easier for you… and you get to avoid the confrontation that will linger for years, unless the Big A comes, then you’re cool, or hot depending on your view of hades, I suppose.

I hope that helps.

Respectfully, SR

p.s. wear something sassy... that'll really send 'em over the edge.

• juni
    juni

What does your husband think since these are his parents?

Juni

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit