Questions

by renga 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• renga
    renga

If one is a devout JW and the devout one's parent is a professed non-Christian, is the devout JW to associate with the non-Christian parent? If so, what type of relationship is allowed according to JW teachings?

Are JW's allowed to assist an elderly non-Christian parent? Are they allowed to provide what the parent needs (within income limits)? Is the parent permitted to visit overnight or longer in a JW home? May a JW provide love, consideration, and caring (emotional and physical) to the non-Christian parent?

What about associating with other family members who are worshippers in other faiths?

Are JW's forbidden to have meaningful family relationships with those outside of his/her faith? Are JW's forbidden to have any relationships with others who are not members of the JW?

The information I was given was that JW's are to associate only, on a personal level, with other JW's.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    If one is a devout JW and the devout one's parent is a professed non-Christian, is the devout JW to associate with the non-Christian parent? If so, what type of relationship is allowed according to JW teachings?

A relatively normal relationship. They would, hovever, be encouraged to preach to them whenever possible.

Are JW's allowed to assist an elderly non-Christian parent? Are they allowed to provide what the parent needs (within income limits)? Is the parent permitted to visit overnight or longer in a JW home? May a JW provide love, consideration, and caring (emotional and physical) to the non-Christian parent?

Yes. In fact, they are obligated to.

What about associating with other family members who are worshippers in other faiths?

That's fine as long as they were never one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Again, they would be expected to preach to them.

Are JW's forbidden to have meaningful family relationships with those outside of his/her faith? Are JW's forbidden to have any relationships with others who are not members of the JW?

This is where the line get's blurry. You are supposed to keep association to a minimum with those of other faiths, even of your own family. An elder might give you counsel for going on a vacation with your "worldly" relatives, but it's not something that will get you into any trouble. Of course, this all changes if one of your relatives was once babtized as a JW. If so, they are considered disfellowshiped and most contact with them would be discouraged. Of course, many JW's break this rule and get away with it.

The information I was given was that JW's are to associate only, on a personal level, with other JW's.

This is correct, but it is a grey area. Your own conscience comes into play here. Basically, a "don't ask, don't tell" policy takes place.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

And welcome to the forum.

• willy_think
    willy_think
    If one is a devout JW and the devout one's parent is a professed non-Christian,

Then the professed non-Christian is the parent of a cult member. They lie, you are going to lose your child. This website is a very good place to start your journey in to understanding the cult. but you need to read, read and read some more.

just so I can be sure to make my self clear, CULT what they say is irrelevant, what they do is destroy families and the mental health or members.

I'm very sorry, good luck

willy

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome renga!

• Honesty
    Honesty
    If one is a devout JW and the devout one's parent is a professed non-Christian

I feel more for the devout jw because the professed non-Christian parent may accept Jesus as his/her Lord and Savior whereas the jw has been deceived by the Watchtower Society into believing that the 'accurate knowledge' and legalistic rules imposed on him/her will result in living forever on 'Paradise earth' after he/she attains to perfection. The professed non-Christian parent may realise that he/she needs Jesus forever while the jw goes around Jesus and directly addresses Jehovah because that's the lie the Watchtower teaches.

• kazar
    kazar

Welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit