Jamestown California Congregation

by Stephanus 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I saw a documentary on Discovery Channel about treasure hunting; there was a segment about gold still being findable by traditional methods in Woods Creek at Jamestown. It piqued my interest, so I've done a bit of internet research on it. Not only is the area famous for its gold, and for legendary figures like Mark Twain, Grizzly Adams and the Cannonball from Petticoat Junction, this one and a half horse town boasts a Kingdom Hall!

Has anyone attended/does anyone know anyone from Jamestown Congregation?

Does field service involve accosting weekend prospectors on Woods Creek? The advantage I'd see in that is that no-one can slam a door on you!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Does field service involve accosting weekend prospectors on Woods Creek? The advantage I'd see in that is that no-one can slam a door on you!

I htink they would rather shoot you..........if someone is mining a motherlode and a JW comes up with a mag.......BANG! I would say.....

• truman
    truman

I live about 35 miles from Jamestown. Never attended that KH, but I have heard lots of stories about JW life in them thar hills. (more than your usual amount of weirdness). As for field service, I think that disturbing pot growers is more of a danger than dealing with gold prospecters

• Gregor
    Gregor

Nice little town. I was involved in the Jamestown Hotel restoration project many years ago. Jamestown, Sonora, Angels Camp, and the little movie set town of Columbia City are all within a few minutes drive of each other in the Sierra foothills. Lots of movies made around there using the towns and the vintage railroad. We once helped set up a field commissary for the Back to the Future sequel that took place in the old west. I was called on to give a few Sunday talks at the Kingdom Hall because I lived close by.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit