i cant stop thinking too much

by sam1987 9 Replies latest jw friends

• sam1987
    sam1987

I seriously cant stop thinking into things too much, does anyone know any good ways to stop over thinking? i just want to let myself go with what i want to do, not with what i think i should do, (this is all probably because of the way im used to thinking in the old days), is there a way you can stop yourself from thinking a way you dont want too? this probly makes no sense to anyone but i cant exspain it any better. thanks.

Sam.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I bought 3 motorcycles, and ride like the wind. It helps me.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Sam,

By thinking too much, do you mean being overly critical of your decisions or dicecting them to death so much that you are immobilzed? If you can stop, sit down, slowly take a deep breath or two before you start thinking about a matter it might help. Some people experience racing thoughts, this is a condition that medication is often used to help. I'm sure you are just over cautious due to the whole witnoid thing.

Just relax, limit your thinking to the matter at hand and examine it rationally and reasonably. Again, clear your mind and just take it easy. Sometimes talking it over with a trusted friend can help you focus. Friends are great resources. I suppose that is ultimately the best course after all.

W.Once

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Some say a type of meditation where you focus on your breathing will help. You might try researching various breathing exercises. The idea is to quiet your thinking mind and get your attention (consciousnes) on what is actually here now. The thoughts will come and go, simply watch them rise and fall away, WITHOUT attaching to them. When you attach they cascade on and on taking your attention and emotions with them. Focusing on your breath keeps the mind on something other than the thoughts. Eventually the thoughts will slow down and your attention will be on what is around you. You will be perceiving with little or no thought. Refreshing. One suggested exercise is to sit comfortably and breath in through the nose silently counting 4 seconds, hold that breath for a count of 7, then breath out through the mouth for a count of 8, then start the cycle again immediatly after the 8 count exhale, in 4 seconds, hold 7 seconds, exhale 8 seconds. It is the ratio that is important. Do the cycle three or four times a day or when you feel the need.This exercise is reported to have beneficial physical effects over time as well. Do some research on breathing exercises.

• bebu
    bebu

Hey Sam,

i just want to let myself go with what i want to do, not with what i think i should do

Hmmmm. There's value in being careful about what you do. I don't think you should chuck out your conscience!

But I'm sure you're referring to false guilt. In that case, I would say that if you

• carefully and HONESTLY think over what it is you want to do, and
    • HONESTLY (<----this is really the hardest part) come to the conclusion that what you want to do is not really something you feel sure is wrong, then you can
    • fight the "ought to"s (false guilt) with repetition of your good reasons for allowing it.
    • Again: Repeat, repeat, repeat whatever is true.

Over time, false guilt will fade. Of course, if you should ever come to realize that something you want to do/have been doing is not so good after all and you were mistaken... you should always have the integrity to be ready to ditch it. (IMO.)

bebu

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Need to add: the cycle consists of 4,7,8. Do 4 cycles...... that is considered a 1 set. Do 4 sets per day or as needed. Hope that's clearer.

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

sam,

when i was studying, the person i was studying with told me that i was thinking too much. my wife told me that i was worrying too much. the problem was i was worried about what i was thinking. i can't help thinking too much. and i accept that.

j2s

• sam1987
    sam1987

Thanks everyone, there all great ideas, i will try my best to overcome it. Dont worry bebu im not throwing away my conscience, its nothing like that at all, its just the mindset of coming out of the religeon that im dealing with, and the way that i know i dont have to think like that, but i cant help but do it. but ill get their in the end:) thanks again for the help :)

Sam.

• bebu
  • restrangled
    restrangled

Um, a good bottle of cabernet will do the trick!

r (Obsessive thinker)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit