How to Quit Church Without Quitting God: 7 Good Reasons to Escape the Box

by yaddayadda 3 Replies latest jw friends

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Found the above titled book while surfing Amazon. Looks worth a read, might buy. Anyone here read it?

One reviewer said:

"...Don't get me wrong, I like the book and would recommend it. The chapters on God does not live in Boxes, the Church digs People into Spiritual Ruts, and the Church binds People to clocks and Buildings are insightful and excellently argued. Taken as a whole it is a good read and can cause the reader to see things in a different light that is based on truth instead of institution. An excellent book that is part of what are probably the three best books on the problems of the church today. The other two books would be "Messy Spirituality" and "When Bad Christians happen to Good People". Every Christian who realizes that something isn't quite right about the way the Christian religion is practiced today should read these three books."

• Shazard
    Shazard

What is meant by "church" here? :)
    Coz Una Sancta by definition are those who are in union with God. Church is only another word for those who are with God.

• anewme
    anewme

When we have been thoroughly indoctrinated it can be sometimes impossible to think a thought "outside the box" of the propaganda we have accepted.

These books by others who have escaped are very helpful. They aid your mind to go beyond your limitations and experience the freedom of thought so long denied.

In this case I assume the author endeavors to help the reader understand that by leaving a church or group it does not mean one is leaving God the Creator.
    That is very helpful therapy....and truthful.

Anewme

• whyizit
    whyizit

Haven't read this one, but another good one to consider is:

Bad News Religion by Greg Albrecht (The virus that attacks God's grace.) "A convincing, liberating exploration of how we, in the name of religion, have shifted the focus from the work of God to our ability to become worthy of salvation. The result is bondage and defeat rather than freedom and grace."

The author is a former Armonstrong member. It is very enlightening. Really gives you insight on the dangers of legalism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit