Did Jesus believe that the end would come in his lifetime? (Mark 14:62)

by truthseeker 8 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Did Jesus believe that the end would come in his lifetime and did he prophesy this?

If we read Mark 14:62, in answer to the chief priest's question "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?", Jesus answers

"I am; and you persons will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of power and coming with the clouds of heaven."

In reality though, this never happened. The chief priest and his co-workers never did see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of power.

Was Jesus prophesying?

The latter part of Mark 14:65 says, "Prophesy! And slapping him in the face the court attendants took him."

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hello, Do you think he might have been refering to when he gets ressurected and appeared to 500 + people?

• garbruce06atyahooo
    garbruce06atyahooo

Christ did indeed go up to heaven in their lifetime, sat there and ruled in their lifetime over all true Christians and still does so in our own lifetime. He will return in a more visible way in the future.

In a similar way the great tribulation or persecution began in the time of Christ's generation and has continued up to this day in one nation then another, for example in the Sudan of Africa and in Communist China. It's great in the sense of having gone on 2,000 years and in its ferocity.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

If you notice, Jesus is talkint directly to the high priests.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

If you notice, Jesus is talking directly to the high priests: I am; and you persons will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of power and coming with the clouds of heaven." If this was future, the high priests would aready have been dead. They did not see Christ coming with the clouds of heaven.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Welcome to the Jedi ranks truthseeker!

Jesus didn't specify when they would see him in his exalted position though - or did he?

• greendawn
    greendawn

When earlier the disciples asked him about the coming of the end he gave two predictions about two ends, one that of the Jewish state that was to be totally predictable (so the Christians could flee in time) and that of the whole world was to be totally unpredictable.

Talking to the chief priest he may have been refering to the time after the resurrection when the Jews will have to live under his kingdom.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

The man was full of shit just like moses, Abraham, Jonah, Daniel, David koresh, Jim Jones, Joseph smith, Edgar cayce, brownboy, Nostradamus etc...

The fact that he lived a long time ago and after he died his followers wrote a book does not change the fundamental facts that he was A) Just a man. B) Full of shit...

Seems pretty simple to me!

• moshe
    moshe

Seems like I remmeber the NT says something about the time you hear "rumors of wars"- something like that- I would say since the invention of radio, Tv and spy satellites that no war ever goes unnoticed today. Personally, I think that the magical mushrooms could have given Jesus and other prophets their religious insight. Their is no documented proof that I am aware of that a divine power has intervened in the affairs of man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit