WTC Destruction a Mild Preview of Armageddon

by mikepence 3 Replies latest jw friends

• mikepence
    mikepence

Yesterday's horrific destruction of the World Trade Center left me speechless and in tears. Yet, faithful JW's view such a horrible tragedy as minor when compared to the horrible destruction that their God will rain down on mankind Any Day Now.

I challenge any faithful JW to explain to me how they will watch the *entire world* come to a similar fiery end, and then *rejoice* at the vindication of God's name. Will you be telling people out in field service how you view such horrible destruction as a Good Thing?

The JW mindset is sick. They *hope* to see the entire world end in a similar way. This is what they have been hoping for since the late 1800's. I only regret that more people are not privvy to how totally fucked up these people are. I know because I used to struggle with those same views.

Trust me, the victims and families of this horrible tragedy don't *want* the sympathy of a religion that views their loved ones as *fortunate* because they died before Armageddon, so maybe they will get resurrected.

What do we have to do to bring this sick religion to an end?

Disgusted,
    Mike Pence

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, and made several sarchastic comments along the same lines to a couple of active Witnesses.

For Witnesses to express any sort of sadness or shock over the events of yesterday is rather hypocritical, since as you brought out, Armageddon is supposed to be similar, but on a larger scale. This is their "good news" in fact.

The Witness reaction of being "thrilled" at the "exciting events" is hardly a surprise, since they consider most of those who died as being wicked (they don't love Jehovah).

I hope many Witnesses wake up to the reality of their Armageddon pictures coming to life and just how horrible the reality really is. I am not terribly optimistic of that happening.

Path

• DIM
    DIM

My mom left a frantic v/m for me here at work while i was on lunch break saying how "the gas prices are going up and blah blah blah...".....this is interesting for two reasons - (1) she doesn't know what she is talking about and (2) she could barely hide the glee in her voice. what a loving sister who is a pioneer! i feel sick inside.

• AlanF
    AlanF

You're absolutely right, Mike, about the callousness -- if you look at JW beliefs objectively. The problem is that JWs usually don't look at their beliefs this way. They've largely compartmentalized their minds and emotions in a way that does not allow them to understand the full force of their beliefs. Many will be horrified at a specific tragedy, and some will even help non-JWs when tragedy strikes. But when they 'think' about Armageddon and such, it's like they're thinking about a fairy tale. They don't truly understand that the death of 6 billion people tomorrow is a million times worse than what happened yesterday at the WTC. They simply can't allow themselves to understand it, since if they did they'd be horrified at their own beliefs. This kind of potential cognitive dissonance sometimes gets a JW to thinking, and sometimes causes them to quit.

JWs as well as plenty of others suffer from this mental/emotional compartmentalization. It's so automatic that they don't even realize they're doing it even in rather obvious ways. Some years ago my then-wife (a rabidly braindead JW) and I watched a TV movie where the main female character fell in love with another man, let her emotions run away, dumped her first husband who until then she was very much in love with, and ran off with the 2nd guy. The story was extremely sympathetic towards the woman, portraying her as a very nice person who fell victim, if you will, to her emotions. My then-wife was sympathetic toward the character, even crying at times when the character got into trouble for running off with another man. At the end of movie I was bit disgusted by her hypocrisy and decided to give her a bit of a challenge with a tongue-in-cheek question. I said, "You're crying about the just desserts this adulterous woman received for committing adultery? That's a slap in the face of Jehovah your God!" I thought she'd kind of laugh it off, but she immediately burst out crying and ran to our bedroom. She wouldn't talk about it at all.

I think that most JWs don't think about real-life situations in terms of their religious beliefs, unless they've jumped into that other mental compartment. Just as a rabid JW can forget for awhile how strongly her religion condemns adultery, even to the point of being sympathetic to an adulterer, so can they be empathetic towards everyday human tragedy and yet, in that other mental compartment, rejoice at the prospect of the death of six billion people.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit