Revelation book questions

by asleif_dufansdottir 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I hope this hasn't already been discussed to death but if it has apparently I'm not very good at searching on the forum...

I see the Rev book is being studied again.

Is this some sort of record for # of times a book is the study book or for the age of a book being studied?

How old is the book anyway? How many times has it been studied before?

We were "in" when it was rolled out (so I should remember but I don't) and the few years we were in, I know it was studied at least 3 times (one of which was back-to-back!)

I can't believe they're studying it again. Do they just not have anybody anymore that's capable of writing "study" books???

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

yes, it has been discussed here to depth.

but that doesn't matter.

I think it must be a record, since I am pretty sure no other book is studied four times.

It has been studied 3 times (back to back, of course)

this is going to be the fourth

it has been released in the 80's end of 80's if I remember correctly.
    it had quite an impact at that time in the congregations, because of the difefrences of previous books (not only in teachings, but also in the way it was written)

there are maybe more people who can write books, but what to write about?

• Gill
    Gill

It's a good scary book to keep the R and F scared enough to keep going to the meetings and out in FS! Lots of doom, desolation and destruction. Great for a boring Tuesday evening. The fact that no one understands it, is neither here nor death. The message, 'you're bird food if you're not a JW' is loud and clear. Even the simplest JW can understand and keep scared enough to keep attending.

• blondie
    blondie

1988 (published)

Actually there is little that needs to be changed that I have found. This is the only mention of the scriptures on the generation that will pass away but nothing about 1914.

re chap. 3 p. 17 par. 11 Things That Must Shortly Take Place ***

The time is near for God and Jesus Christ to execute final judgment on Satan’s world system. When Jesus was here on earth, he stated that only his Father knew "that day or the hour." Looking ahead to the troubles that have multiplied on earth from World War I onward, Jesus also said: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things happen." So the appointed time for executing God’s decision must be drawing perilously close. (Mark 13:8, 30-32)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Fortunately I left two years before it was released...

As far as I can remember there were "study books" published every year (in French, generally one year after the English edition down to the early 80s) throughout my JW time (1972-1986). I can't remember a book being programed twice for the Book Study. Did the source of inspiration dry up with Fred Franz's death? Could the Revelation book be among the last works of Franz (I don't know when he died exactly), and the repeated study a mark of veneration to him? I can't figure why they don't even bother to make new books out of old material, which would be pretty easy...

• Terry
    Terry
    Did the source of inspiration dry up after Fred Franz death?

Heck, yeah!

The chain of custody of "Truth" died with Franz. At least as far as style and "substance" is concerned.

C.T.Russell was an eclectic writer. In my opinion, his "talent" was in his penchant for assembling the most dazzling crackpot notions together and linking them into a coherent presentation using his own particular style of writing.

Russell was a good writer. I'd go so far as to say he was highly talented at what he did.

He had a gentle tone, he was persuasive and there was an energy to his presentation that crackled with conviction and urgency.

Judge Rutherford was a crude writer without merit to his notions. But, he did have Ambose and Franz on hand to feed him spackle to hide the CRACK (in his) POT.

Nathan Knorr had the good sense to allow Fred Franz full amplitude for his zany, colorful and exhuberant prose. Fred Franz was the little engine that could. And did.

Franz was a devilishly clever fellow with a mind like a steel trap. The headquarters were in awe of his brilliance. So was he! But, he had an Achilles Heel: he was a closet ADVENTIST who never got END TIMES obsessions out of his thoughts.

Franz needed to experience Armageddon in his own lifetime EVEN IF HE HAD TO MAKE IT HAPPEN HIMSELF!

Call him crazy if you like, but; Fred Franz put all his capital on the line and rolled the dice as one of Jehovah's anointed insiders.

IT CAME UP CRAPS!

The illusion popped. Egg was on everybody's face. End Times became anathema instead of front page. (At least as far as dates).

The motor that drove this religion was always ARMAGEDDON because it is really an adventist religion!

Scared shitless of being publicly humiliated again; they had to turn a corner on the thrust of the messege.

The NEW messege was an inversion of the old. Don't listen to anybody but us because everybody else will tell you we are wrong.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Chapter 21
    Church members are taught Jesus preached God’s Kingdom,
    that God’s purposes will not some political system,
    be accomplished through politics. as the hope for mankind.
    The late Cardinal Spellman stated: (Matthew 4:23; 6:9, 10)
    “There is only one road to He refused to get involved
    peace . . . , the highroad of in politics. (John 6:14, 15)
    democracy.” News items report His Kingdom was no part of
    religion’s involvement in the this world; hence, his
    world’s politics (even in followers were to be no part
    insurrections) and her support of the world. (John 18:36;
    of the UN as “the last hope 17:16) James warned
    of concord and peace.” against friendship with
    the world. (James 4:4)

Chapter 28
    Since World War II, the image of the wild beast—now manifested as the United Nations organization—has already killed in a literal way. For example, in 1950 a UN force took the field in the war between North Korea and South Korea. The UN force, along with the South Koreans, killed an estimated 1,420,000 North Koreans and Chinese. Similarly, from 1960 to 1964, United Nations armies were active in the Congo (now Zaire).

Chapter 33
    What of the League’s successor, the United Nations? From its inception, this body has also had the great harlot riding on its back, visibly associated with it and trying to guide its destiny. For example, on its 20th anniversary, in June 1965, representatives of the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church, together with Protestants, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, and Muslims—said to represent two thousand million of earth’s population—assembled in San Francisco to celebrate their support and admiration of the UN. On visiting the UN in October 1965, Pope Paul VI described it as “that greatest of all international organizations” and added: “The peoples of the earth turn to the United Nations as the last hope of concord and peace.” Another papal visitor, Pope John Paul II, addressing the UN in October 1979, said: “I hope the United Nations will ever remain the supreme forum of peace and justice.” Significantly, the pope made no mention of Jesus Christ or of God’s Kingdom in his speech. During his visit to the United States in September 1987, as reported by The New York Times, “John Paul spoke at length about the positive role of the United Nations in promoting . . . ‘new worldwide solidarity.’”

Chapter 34
    The UN does not have the answers. And why? Because the Giver of life to all mankind is not the UN’s life-giver. Its life span will be short, for according to God’s decree, “it is to go off into destruction.” The UN’s founders and admirers do not have their names recorded in God’s scroll of life ... They would like to influence the UN to their own advantage, especially in this modern age when so many of their people are abandoning religion

Questions; 8, 9. (a) Why does the UN not have the answers to the world’s problems, and what will shortly happen to it according to God’s decree? (b) Why do the UN’s founders and admirers not have their names recorded in God’s “scroll of life”?

Chapter 19
    The Bible’s restoration prophecies relate neither to the natural Jews nor to political Israel, which is a member of the United Nations and a part of the world that Jesus spoke of at John 14:19, 30 and 18:36.

steve

• proplog2
    proplog2

Terry:

Thanks a lot for describing my problem....

he was a closet ADVENTIST who never got END TIMES obsessions out of his thoughts.

• Terry
    Terry

Yes, for Adventists, it is never a question of IF the world is at End Times; but, WHEN EXACTLY they can pinpoint it.

Note: It is ALWAYS in the time of the person doing the speculations.

• Honesty
    Honesty

The jw's have to study it again because it builds up their faith....

in 'Mother.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit