Holy Laughter Church on CNN News (no joke!)

by Gerard 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gerard
    Gerard

Last night CNN presented a segment on a sect that calls itself the Holy Laughter movement. Their pastor tells jokes and claims that laughter is a trance controlled by God. He claims that unlike other christian movements, his church does not implant feelings of guilt, but of happiness.

Many churches are reporting spontaneous, uncontrollable laughter erupting from their congregations, even during times of solemn ceremony or messages from the pulpit. Some report uncontrollable, yelling, falling to the floor in ecstatic trances, and animal noises such as barking like dogs and roaring like lions. Last night's CNN segment on TV indeed showed a church service filled with uncontrolable laughter. Many fall from their chairs or stagger and reel like drunken people, unable to walk a straight line. For simplicity's sake, all these have come to be called "holy laughter," since laughter is the preeminent phenomenon displayed. In simple terms, its pastor declared that these physical manifestations are "attributed to absolute control by the Holy Spirit....as was manifested once in Tanzania". A Google search on laughing epidemic brough this documented case:

Laughing epidemic

Kashasha, Tanzania - Africa (1962) - T
    he laughing epidemic seems to have started within a small group of students in a boarding school , possibly triggered by a joke. Laughter , as is commonly known, is in some sense contagious, and for whatever reason in this case the laughter perpetuated itself, far transcending its original cause. Since it is physiologically impossible to laugh for much more than a few minutes at a time, the laughter must have made itself known sporadically, though reportedly it was incapacitating when it struck. The school from which the epidemic sprang was shut down; the children and parents transmitted it to the surrounding area. Other schools, Kashasha itself, and another village, comprising thousands of people, were all affected to some degree. Six to eighteen months after it started, the phenomenon died off. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanganyika_Laughter_Epidemic

• Robdar
    Robdar

Sounds like a church I wouldn't mind attending.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Who would have though....a funny church.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Old news. There was a South African evengelist that made his mark with this on TBN about 10 or so years ago. His name was Rodney Howard Browne.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

It started in the Airport Vineyard Church in Toronto, so it was called the Toronto Blessing. Some of the stuff got so extreme that even the Vineyard, not a conservative church in any way, kicked the Airport Branch out of their fold.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I went to a solo recital last night. One of the numbers done was called the "Laughing Song." That Church should definitely learn it. Ha. Ha.

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

Hi Gerard. I became a member of an independent Pentecostal Church a few years back and I often experienced "holy laughter." It cam from a much deeper "place" inside of me than regular laughter and was much more satisfying. I felt really good, really cleansed and lifted up afterwards. I'm no longer a Pentecostal but such memories are fond ones. Now, do I have to decide whether this is of "God" or of "Satan"? How aboput I dont play the polarizing game and instead say "It's of purely human origin, from deep within us." In that case, no one is in The Holy and Ideological Right Group under The Leadership Of God ready to do battle with Those In The Wrong Under the Leadership Of Satan. People need to learn to relax more, live and let live, and stop the "either God or Satan" mental virus stuff that will one day lead to Global Thermonuclear War. EB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit