Emphatic Diaglott online complete with Greek intelinear text

by cabasilas 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not. I've seen online files of the Emphatic Diaglott online before but they did not have the Greek interlinear text portion. Here are pdf scans of the 1864 edition including the interlinear section.

http://www.thedcl.org/bible/diaglott-nt/index.html

I'm not necessarily recommending the translation but thought it might be a good resource for researchers.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

nice resource

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I don't know much about translations, but thank you so much for this link it will definitely come in handy!

BSoM

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

This is a welcome technical breakthrough for readers of the online Diaglott. Previous editions of this interlinear only provided the English text. But this new edition not only contains the Greek, but retains all of Benjamin Wilson's analytical and textual footnotes which the original printed edition had.

Like Freddy Franz, Wilson, the "translator" of the Emphatic Diaglott, was "largely self-taught" and evidently belonged to an obscure fringe religion called "The Church of God - Faith of Abraham" His original edition was first published in 1864 and soon a copy fell into the hands of CT Russell, founder of the Watchtower movement. His attention was drawn to the peculiar rendering of "presence" for the Greek "Parousia" at Matt 24:3, and Wilson's use of "a god" in the interlinear portion of Jo 1:1 which, to Russell, seemed sufficient reason to back this version.

Using anonymous sources, Russell approached the original publishers and purchased the copyright to the Diaglott in 1902, and as far as I can gather, the WTS published three editions of this work starting in 1902. The final edition came out in 1942.

By 1952 the WTS copyright to the Diaglott ceased and it fell into the public domain. To the best of my knowledge, the Christadelphian church were publishing printed editions, but only for their own membership. Various editions of the online version are available, but previous to the one we are now discussing, only had the English text.

Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit