My JW Neighbours - Now it's JWs -v- NAC!

by Joe Grundy 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Latest in the saga with my JW neighbours. I've previously mentioned my other neighbours (German couple in late 60s) who live next door to the JW family. The German couple are here on the island about 6 months a year, often look after the JW kids and have substantial concerns about them.

Last Friday evening (late here, about 10 pm) the German lady and her older sister and I went to a sports bar to watch the Germany-Argentina match. The GL is large, loud, very common-sense and great fun. She had her flag, whistle, hat, etc. and really enjoyed the match. (Her husband won't be coming to the island for a week or so, so it was just me and the two ladies). A good time was had by all.

On Monday evening, I went over to her apartment to return a plate (she'd made me some wonderful German dessert) and the three of us had a general chat. As I was leaving her apartment (at 7.30 pm) a procession of JWs were arriving at the JW's apartment. I knew they were JWs cos I recognised one as one of the head honchos in the Hall I went to a couple of times. Also, they were all wearing ties and the two ladies with them were in skirt-suits (one of the ladies' skirts was a little tight, I noticed). My JW neighbour was also wearing a tie. It was in the high 30s, humid, and I and the rest of the normal world was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I was obviously recognised, and got the 'hello's' and the pepsodent smiles. (Seems as though my wearing my FBI polo shirt and having a cigarette outside the hall on my last visit may not make me COMPLETELY unsalvageable.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the German apartment for dinner, and we got talking. It turns out that both ladies are in the New Apostolic Church, which I could vaguely recall having heard of but knew nothing about. I asked what they believed but as far as they were concerned it wasn't anything different from a lot of mainstream stuff. The ladies actually don't put much store in it and happen to go cos the church is convenient and friendly and they were brought up in it in Germany. Oh, and their church has a very active social life. (The German husband is a lapsed catholic who swore that when he was old enough to have the choice he'd never go to a church again and has stuck to it.

The ladies told me that they'd been grilled a couple of times by the JW parents about me. Comments were made about going to watch the football with 'Joe', 'Joe' calling round on the Monday, etc., and were interested to know whether I would be going to the NAC church. The German lady tells me she replied that I wouldn't 'cos I'm an atheist and that she wasn't interested in the religion (or lack of it) of her friends, anyway. JW mom asked whether I had been given a NAC magazine (no).

All very interesting, or not as the case may be. But when I got home, I had a look at the NAC on the net. What nearly made me fall off my chair (or at least open another beer) was that the NAC is almost the spitting image of WTBTS. It was started about the same time, is directed by divinely appointed men, directs its followers, the only 'truth', etc. etc. Except they have just one head honcho, the Chief Apostle. And they have their own prophecies for when the end of the world will happen (starting in the 1800s, and all wrong so far). Best one was in the 1950s, when the top man prophesied that the world would end before he died. Well he did, and it didn't.

It's just as well that both the NAC and JWs aren't allowed to look at 'external' religious literature (and the German lady doesn't take much of it too seriously). Can you imagine the mayhem if two adherents of the 'only true apocalyptic cult' lived next door to each other and and came to blows? I only hope that god's satnav is up to date when armageddon arrives 'cos in this case he's got to hit exactly the right apartment. Taking out the whole block just will not do. This is all a bit spooky.

On a sad note, the JW kids were at the German apartment yesterday evening, as they very often are. The 6 year old asked for a drink (coke if possible). In the fridge was a pack of coke, obviously been in there some time, it was a Christmas special pack. The little girl saw the Santa Claus on the packaging and said it was OK, could she just have a glass of water instead.

• talley
    talley

Awwww....poor brainwashed little girl. It's so sad that a religion can take away even the most innocent pleasures of every-day life.

Joe, thanks for keeping us updated on this little saga of the realities of how the WTBTS really subtly impacts the lives of all it touches. So sad. So much good and joy in this life (which is all we can really be sure of) wasted for empty promisises of the religious immagination.

You are a good man Joe Grundy, to care so much....

Judy

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

My friend, when you went to that Memorial you sealed your fate. Clothing and habits of non believers are not important to them. You could have tried to enter in a gorilla outfit sucking on a cigar and they would still be after you. They see you as mallable

They will watch you 'for your own spiritual well being' . NO matter what you tell them at this point about not ever going back it will do no good. You are service hours to them.

You really are a nice guy Joe so just ignore them.

cab

p.s. Those other numbers sound really cool!!!!

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

P.S Those other neighbors sound cool is what I meant. Gotta have more coffee!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit